Do you detect in NJ? If so read this please...

fir469

Dec 18, 2007
Hey everybody, just wanted to throw a thread out here for those hunting in NJ to emphasize how important it is to follow our code of ethics...

I stopped briefly to detect in a field I noticed that has been recently posted as Monmouth County parkland. This site is directly adjacent to the Crosswicks Creek Canoe Access on Rt. 537 in Plumstead Twp. It's a small piece of old farmland. I'm hoping that by posting the exact location of this site, the person I speak of in this post will see it and change his or her ways.

While detecting in this field I started coming across deep divots that appeared to possibly be animal dug holes, possibly grubbing holes. They all were about the same size (10" across by 6" deep) and had small flattened piles of sand beside them. After passing up about 10 or so of these holes I decided to swing the detector over a few to see if they were possibly unfilled detectorists holes.... sure enough they were!! The first 3 holes swung across produced signals, I proceeded to dig out the target and quickly realized that the person who dug these was leaving their trash targets either right in the hole or lying close beside it. I was furious!! Some holes obviously gave no signal, which I can only assume were the holes with take home targets.

Well I just wanted to stress how important it is to TAKE ALL TRASH ENCOUNTERED WITH YOU!! AND FILL ALL HOLES REGARDLESS OF HOW REMOTE THE SITE!!! It just does not reflect well on our community to stray from the code of ethics. It is bad enough that half the state is undetectable due to State forest being off limits and almost the entire other half is private property, please don't ruin our chances of detecting the last few places we all have left in this tiny overpopulated state.

To close... Thanks whoever you are for missing the targets I did manage to snag in the midst of your unfilled trash laden holes which included a semi key date 1879 Indian Head in VF condition, a Small crotal bell, a D buckle, and a few flat buttons... I guess it serves ya right for leaving the site a mess...

-Jason-

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Point well taken. This is what I have against the big box stores that sell Bounty Hunters and give no instruction to the customers. Not just the BH's but any detector that does not have the sales help available to help the customer learn the proper way to retrieve a target. They sell them a trowel or shovel and tell them to go git'em.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky said:
It may upset some people, but I got the city council in this area to prohibit detecting without written permission.

Wow is all I can say. I won't even comment any further, as it would not be pleasant in nature.

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Point well taken. This is what I have against the big box stores that sell Bounty Hunters and give no instruction to the customers. Not just the BH's but any detector that does not have the sales help available to help the customer learn the proper way to retrieve a target. They sell them a trowel or shovel and tell them to go git'em.

Don't they put a DVD in the box ala Garrett?

Spooky - you're one strange cat. If I lived in your town, you'd have to where earbuds instead of earphones so you could hear me comin'!

OP
OP
F

fir469

Dec 18, 2007
Sppoky, that isn't a bad idea... I kinda like that. I may have to look into setting asomething up like that in a few areas near me. This isn't the first time I've come across a complete disrespect for the grounds people detect. I would love to be able to obtain permits and work to keep them, it will keep the riff raff out.

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
I am about the LAST person to view "more government control" as a good answer

In this instance, you acted like all others that rely on government to do their bidding. You decided that this was sooooo important to you that you had to TELL big brother. You're the one that drew attention to the subject not the 3 meatheads (or 400 squirells) leaving open holes.

There are hundreds of ways to have done this positively - start a club to educate new detectorists, use that club to work with park employees to identify the culprits so you can educate them (you're on their side right? - wouldn't that go much further to helping the hobby and the park?), explain the problem to the brick and mortar stores and ask them to give one of your cards to all purchasers, type up some flyers and ask the stores to post them near the detectors, contact Outdoor outfitters to find out if they're supplying the chains (and if not, contact First Texas and explain your concerns), etc. etc. etc. Instead of acting in a positive manner and doing some work to better the hobby, you decided to force others to do what YOU thought was important.

It's usually the "who are YOU to tell ME to be responsible?' types that are doing the most damage.

Cop out from a lazy forum poster. Get out and do something about it instead of whining on here every day.

shambler said:
Shame on you!

This.

CBAILEY

Dec 24, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer se, whites prizm v, whites classic ii
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, I came up on something like this at Lake Buford near Atlanta Ga. I drove over 60 miles to this beach and found about 500 crators. I checked out the area but unfortanetly this guy knew what he was doing and I didn't find squat. Of course that made me even madder about the "moon crators". Even beach areas we should cover our holes up. At least I always do. Craig in Georgia

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread