Its "hunted out"!

Z

zenith82

It's "hunted out"!

I'm sure we've all been told this at one time or another. It's what several people told me about an old baseball field near where a buddy of mine lives. I was driving past the field after a hunt at another site where I had basically wasted an hour of my time (I've been in a little bit of a dry spell lately). I decided to stop at the field and give it a shot just to say I had been there.

I figured I wouldn't stay more than a few minutes. I got out of my truck and walked about 5 feet before my detector started going crazy. Anyway, I ended up staying there about two hours. The haul for today was a 1911 "V" Nickel (almost on the surface!), a 1921 Wheat, 107 modern coins, two 1970s toy cars, a small ring, and an old brass padlock.

Needless to say, I'll be going back there soon! There's still about 99% of the field left to hunt!!

Don't give up on those so-called "hunted out" sites! Whoever hunted this place before must have been running with his detector to have left all of this behind.

Upvote 0
G

greencent

Re: It's "hunted out"!

They got all the silver allready. Good luck finding any old silver bigger than a dime. :P

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

My hunting partners were talking the other day about one of our parks here being hunted out. We have dug a lot of Silver, IH, and Wheaties...Didn't think it had a whole lot more to offer. The other day a few of them went to the same park, and out of three of them they gather up seven Pieces of Silver, atleast one of them was a Barber Quarter... Not sure when this particular park will be hunted out, but I will be going back to it for several years to come. I feel that something one guy might not have dug, another one would... Or maybe someone got the right bottle cap out of your way to reveal the goodies underneath..

Happy Hunting, and may the hole you dig, not be your own...

OP
OP
Z

zenith82

Don't be so negative Greencent! I've found Walking Liberties in "hunted out" places before. You just have to take it slow and listen for those deep signals. The next time you are out in a park, lay a quarter on the ground and look at it. Then look up and look at the land in front of you. See how the size of the quarter compares to the size of the park. I'm one of these people who believes an area is never truly "hunted out". It might have been hit hard and most of the shallow silver recovered, but I'd make a bet that something was left behind. I've even found Mercuries on beaches in the middle of summer. It's rare, but it has happened. A friend of mine found a beautiful Seated Half at an 1897 schoolyard that had supposedly been hunted a million times.

My point is the number of coins here indicates that whoever was here did a good job of missing a lot of stuff. The '11 V (my first V by the way) and the '21 Wheat are signs that there could be more here.

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri

I go to a place which I have long thought to be hunted out; I get fooled everytime. The last 4 0f 5 times there, I have found at least one silver dime. I think the hunters of the past have found all coins larger than the dimes and pennies, since that's all I find. It must not be hunted out after all.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Okay,I gotta be honest with you here,a few of my most productive local sites are supposedly"hunted out".The question is,who hunted them and what'd they recover?If the site has history and is still in use today,it can never be" huted out".There will always be a fresh supply of clad and garbage.What also remains below that,just a little deeper and in the right areas will always be the possibility of a little silver.Who knows?Don't be so negative there greencent,must go slow,have patience.You and the machine must become one :) only then will you find silver in a "hunted out" area!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Love it! I found a WLH at 4" in a hunted out area of a local park. Along with deeper barber coins. Yep, those who know the effects of masking and the secret to outsmarting it will always make good finds at those hunted out sites. I hunt regularly at a nearby park that has been hunted for over thirty years and there's still too much there to talk about, but not much is waiting on or near the top for the casual md'er.

I also don't understand those purists who never go back to a site when they're satisfied every old coin is gone, as you stated new coins and even jewelry are being redeposited as we discuss this. Of course I like to find the occasional nice site that no one has hunted and has coins from all era's in easy reach of my coil and trowel. But what did I leave behind in cherry picking such a site?

strawbfan

Sep 4, 2003
Utica NY
Detector(s) used
Mnelab Safari ,Garrett Ace250

I just found an old insurance company pin the other day at an old reservoir in a spot I thought I had hunted out.I was walking by the spot and thought I would give it one more try,got a real loud beep and thought it must be a pulltab or a bottle cap.I started digging and after I dug about 6 inches and still didn`t have the target I realised it might be something decent.I see something round in there and thought coin,but it was the pin,cool find it was a 1925 Hartford insurance pin.I don`t know how I missed it all the other times I hunted that same exact spot,I had gone over that same area probably 20 times and it sat there until the other day.I have to believe you can`t really hunt a spot out after finding that pin and knowing my coil had to have come real close many other times and somehow missed it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions