Suggestions on a Brand/model for beach and underwater

Tampabeach

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2010
OK, I am new so I apoligize if this has been coverd. I want to find a detector that I can use while scuba diving and on the beach (salt water). I let a minelabe excal slip through my hands already and am pretty sure it is a good choice for my use. However it was a little more than I wanted to spend. I would really like to stay in the $300-$500 area, used does not bother me as long as its in good condition. Could some of you with your knowledge point me in the direction of some detectors that may fit my needs.

Thank you
BILL

Upvote 0

Spirit

Jun 12, 2003
Philly
May want to look into the tesoro line. They are very well priced. Will you be doing salt water or freshwater? If freshwater only i've heard the tiger shark is nice. I have a sand shark, and its served me well, rather annoying to pull a twistie tie 5 inches deep at times, but it will find small thin gold. Its PI so no descrimination. I put a lot of rare earth magnets on my scoop to help keep them from falling through the holes.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spirit said:
May want to look into the tesoro line. They are very well priced. Will you be doing salt water or freshwater? If freshwater only i've heard the tiger shark is nice. I have a sand shark, and its served me well, rather annoying to pull a twistie tie 5 inches deep at times, but it will find small thin gold. Its PI so no descrimination. I put a lot of rare earth magnets on my scoop to help keep them from falling through the holes.

There are good used Minelab Excals for sale for $500-$700 and you will not be digging tiny pieces of iron 2 foot deep......One just sold on here for $640 this week, I bought one in November for $475 and it worked perfectly on arrival...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal is the favorite treasure finder and is excellent for diving. But if the cost is to high for you you might want to look at the Tiger Shark, but for salt water you might want the Sea Hunter Mark II, or Sand Shark, both PI's so you will dig deep holes for the wire bread wrappers. the Excal ignores iron and finds the gold on top of the iron. :thumbsup:

I never had a Excal leak nore a Tesoro or even a Fisher.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ad is strange, that is a low price for new, and Minelab no longer sells extended warranty. Excal now comes with 1 year warranty only.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread