Using a Cordless Drill

P

pnjarizona

Ok, this may sound out there and I haven't done yet but I'm thinking about it. Receintly, I was up at my cabin trying to put termite stakes around the perimiter of the house. The tool they provided was poor and I was having a difficult time digging deep enough to put the spikes in the ground....UNTIL.....I pulled out the cordless drill with an 1 1/2" wood dril bit (and yes the bit will never chew wood again). But it was very effective at making a holes in the very hard ground. So I throught to myself, this might also work well for the digging required for my metal detecting. What you have to understand is that I live in the Phoenix desert and the ground is often hard hard hard; in dirt lots we use a 5lb pick. So, I was thinking about using the cordless drill at an angle to move around the target and then do careful digging after that. Yes, I also know that a dril like that is heavy, but it could be an effective tool. I open it up to any thoughts {dude you are like crazzy} or to anyone who has tried it. I worte this after reading about the post hole digger :)

Upvote 0

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Since there are plenty of negative comments out there waiting for every idea let me be the first to say, You are an innovative thinker sir. We have to do things differently from time to time. Trial and error got us where we are in the hobby as surely it will lead us into the future. I don't know how it will work out for you but let me know. Of course it would'nt be appropriate for some ones yard or a park, but in the rough, why not. Good luck. HH! Chris

Shiftlngsands

Greenie
May 25, 2004
Oswego NY
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III
thats a good idea maybe take it a little further use a bit that they use to make the hole for a doorknob that can take a plug about 2 -3 inches across and up to 4 inches deep then pull out that plug and do it again if needed? ?just a thought i think you would have to be adept at pinpointing so you dont do damage but on hard ground i think this will work hope this idea works for you would love to hear if it does or doesnt

scott

IronMike

Nov 2, 2003
Sacramento California
BRAIN-STORMING:
Thats what I like. Get the thought process working and check things out. In the end, it still comes down to what works well for YOU. I do not coin hunt any more but the holesaw/coring tool really intrigues me. I think that one has merit as it would eliminate the tree root problem. Keep up the good thoughts.
Micheal

Jul 25, 2004
Any hole saws that I've seen would be too shallow for many or most targets -- but if you cut one off with a band saw and welded in 2 to 4 inches of mild steel cylinder... Or you could probably get away with brazing in a length of copper pipe of the appropriate diameter. Easier than forming a cylinder from mild steel, but then again, if the extension is made of steel you could probably get away with wrapping on the side of it with a small hammer to knock the plug out if it sticks inside the saw. Make sure you've got plenty of spare batteries in the car!

This is beginning to sound a bit impractical... something to use in only the most extreme conditions.

Shalom,
Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions