What would you use to find deep civil war projectiles?

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I am a relic hunter and have found a few cannon balls and projectiles from the civil war. I have some spots where I know there are deep projectiles. These spots were hunted years ago and people were actually using wheelbarrows to carry out the stuff. But, I know they didn't get everything.

I did find one large Parrott shell in the seventies using an older White's.

Problem today is that most detectors really don't find much deep stuff, and you spend a lot of time digging smaller iron targets near the surface.

Two box detectors would work fine as they would not be as sensitive to shallow iron, however, most of the two box detectors on the market today just don't sell, their technology old. I have a Fisher which was made in the late fifties and it looks the same as the modern day Gemini. Mine has big electronics. I also had a Metrotech two box given to me but it needs a handle and believe me the handle from Metrotech must be made out of gold because the price Metrotech wants is way out there, I mean approaching $200 for a darned aluminum handle.

I tried a magnetometer made by Schonstedt, bought the best and the one made for the Army to find their lost explosive ordnance, no luck.

I use a Tesoro Tejon and have great luck on relics, but in all metal there is no such thing as a stable threshhold.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting Civil War relics are not my bag, but I use a Tejon and for the All Metal mode being unstable, have you cleaned out the coil cover? Turned off the cell phone? My Tejon is rock steady in all metal so it might be something in your area.

The Fisher F70 is nice, but guys have been having trouble with them from what I read.

Start thinking about a Sov GT used in all metal with iron mask turned of if using disc. You can change freq. if needed. Quite deep and you can get a WOT coil for it too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread