May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just purchased a teknetics alpha 2000 and while testing it around the yard it's real sensitive. After adjusting the sensitivity I got it to a sweet spot but the depth is all wrong. In testing I just threw a ring down to detect and while it was on the surface the depth on the left hand side said it was 6in. deep.
Why?
It's all digital so don't know how I would adjust that.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a item "too close" to the coil ----or too large in size * ( sputtering noise often) can cause a "overload" type situation and a improper read out. --

OP
OP
eureka77

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow fast replies! Thanks ya'll, guess time for real time testing now that it's day time.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my experience, depth readings are better taken as a guide, rather than gospel. Especially if coils other than the stock one are used.
luvsdux

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Depth readings are not known to be accurate all the time your detector will not be correct to you all the time no matter what one you own. That is why i do not use detectors with a screen i don't like to be lied to. So most of the time i just use the Sovereign with out a meter.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth reading is for an "average" coin in "average" ground but coins could be half inch or less or two inch plus so pay attention to what Keppy says.

Bikerboyzx6r

May 3, 2010
Liverpool, England.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
ivan salis said:
a item "too close" to the coil ----or too large in size * ( sputtering noise often) can cause a "overload" type situation and a improper read out. --

Thats certainly the case with my ACE! Once the object is 3-4" away, you get the proper reading! ;)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the ace 250 is designed to find coins sized items a bit away from the coil -- a item being too close "overwhelms" it ----as does too large a item since it designed to find small coin sized items -so a big hunk of metal also overwhelms it as well. -- being overwhelmed causes false readings to occur :wink: :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
eureka77

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks yall. Yeah I kinda just ignore the depth reading now.

Rusted Nail

Jan 28, 2010
Nord Dakota Der A
Detector(s) used
Old Relic/Garrett -ADS Master Hunter- Deepseeker/ Whites - Coinmaster
Maybe trade it in on a fly rod. :-\. I've only detected a few month's and know there is no detector out there that can tell you exactly how deep or what it is with out doing some digging. :laughing7:. That's all I have to say about that :tongue3:. Happy Hunting. RN

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
Rusted Nail said:
Maybe trade it in on a fly rod. :-\. I've only detected a few month's and know there is no detector out there that can tell you exactly how deep or what it is with out doing some digging. :laughing7:. That's all I have to say about that :tongue3:. Happy Hunting. RN
A few months un der your belt and you are sure of this. A classic example of never trusting detector reviews online. They typically are written by people wit a few months experience.

Rusted Nail

Jan 28, 2010
Nord Dakota Der A
Detector(s) used
Old Relic/Garrett -ADS Master Hunter- Deepseeker/ Whites - Coinmaster
Some need to learn to take things lightly around here, I see no helpful advice in your reply I was stating not to rely on the depth meter only to determine the depth of an object , or that it's going to be a coin , Maybe you can shed some light on the subject.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread