Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Imagine You're Back In The Year 1959

Actually I did do some metal detecting back then! Dad had an old Radio Shack detector that found nothing but all metal. I found every scrap of junk all over the yard along with a few pennies. I wasn't serious about it and only got it out a few times out of idle curiosity. Monty

Earl

Sep 16, 2004

I was 13 years old in 1959. I wasn't thinking about treasure hunting. I was too busy chasing girls, listening to buddy holly and checking out the new cars like the 59 chev impala, corvette and chevy pickups.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Earl said:
I was 13 years old in 1959. I wasn't thinking about treasure hunting. I was too busy chasing girls, listening to buddy holly and checking out the new cars like the 59 chev impala, corvette and chevy pickups.

I agree. When it comes to the girls, I've often thought it's a good thing I didn't know then what I do now. Well, maybe this is true in some ways.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was 15, wishing I was 16 'cause they could drive and they were getting all the girls! I met my wife that year at a sock hop dance. I thought she was awful cute and she was a new girl in school but I never dreamed we would celebrate our 35th anniversary March 5th! She's still pretty darn cute too! About that time REAL rock and roll originated. None of that heavy metal, hippie dope smokin' stuff, just pure rock and roll! The 289 fuel injected '57 Chev was still king of the road. I could go on and on but this is supposed to be about metal detecting which had absolutely no priority for any of us that were around then! Monty

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Monty said:
I could go on and on but this is supposed to be about metal detecting which had absolutely no priority for any of us that were around then! Monty

Hey! carry on rocker! This is about treasure hunting and that comes in different shapes. ::)

I had a 57 Chev myself. My favorite was a 1960 Studebaker Lark. It was a two door and the passenger door had a bad lock. Every time I turned a sharp corner the door would fly open. This always put my date close by my side 8) ::)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

So Badger, did you ever get to your destination or did you just keep goin around in circles? ;) ::)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just remembered my first set of wheels. A 1950 Ford 2DR Coupe with a 1953 Merc flathead V-8. Eddlebrock manifold with three twos and dual exhaust with 2 "Cherry Bomb" glass packs. Dechromed with Frenched headlights and taillights. I did all the custom work myself along with 40 cans of lite gray primer spray paint for a paint job! It was a v-8 Chevy killer deluxe. You should see the look on the faces of the '56 and '57 Chevy "power pack" cars when I left them in a trail of dust! Only problem was those old flat heads had a very small radiator and ran hot every time I got on it. It had two water pumps and one or the other was always leaking. But that little beast was light and fast. Once won a rubber laying contest out beside the school, 162 feet! The principal and I had a nice long talk about that! But he didn't snitch me off to the local police who came by asking about the nut who left the tire marks by the school! Now don't any of you young fellows get any ideas. That was a different time and age. Now days they would hang you by your ........well, let's just say you would have a high squeeky voice. You know, sitting in this tired old body looking out, I'm still 16 but if you are sitting across from me looking in, you can tell I'm not. Funny how the mind works. ::) Monty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty, your not the only one sitting is a tired old body looking out. I am a legend in my own mind too. In 59 my best friend talked me into joining the Navy and while in Boot Camp, he gets out and leaves me to sail the seven seas. He missed all the fun. Now he's a mail order preacher in Tucson. My 59 Chevy Impala was waiting for me when I got out.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What I remember most about the '59 Chevy was those huge fins! Could you get the 409 then or did that come out in 1960? The neatest car in town was a Baby Blue '58 Chevy Impala with a 348 and factory three twos. My best friend got a good job right out of HS in 1962 and bought a yellow '62 Chevy Convertible with a 327, 350 horse V-8. Now talk about chasing girls! He caught one and got married and I went to the Air Force under the "Buddy System". My buddie showed up at the bus station and waved good bye to me when I left, so I know how that goes! He got married and had two kids to get a draft deferment. His draft number was next up when the draft and Vietnam war ended! But I went to college on the GI Bill and the last I heard he was selling used cars, so I came out ahead. Oh well enough about me. I want to hear some stories about some of my other friends here on the forum. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread