Question for Spartacus and others who use an Ace 250

B

BigDan

I went cheap and bought an Ace 150. Seeing as it had the same power output as a 250, I figured it would be good enough, and I was caught in a need to buy quick and funds not ready for the better machine.

Anyway, I've found that depth is never an issue...but clueing in on the target is a nightmare. I often end up with holes eight inches around! It keeps me out of parks for fear of causing damage...and creates alot of frustration as I'm constantly running the detector back over the hole to see where I've gone wrong.

By this time, I should have the "X" pattern down...but it's getting no better. The only thing I've found that helps is turning down the sensitivity...and that helps a little (six inch holes).

And another thing....in the all metal mode...the fields I search are FULL of iron objects...not that I mind. But, when I switch to jewelry or coin mode...the machine seems to go silent entirely. In all metal, I'll get (Iron, Iron, Coin, Iron,)...then I switch to coin and the visual display will say iron...and never change.

I know the 250 has a pinpoint feature...is it that much more help, or do you have a problem with huge holes like I have? And...my concerns about being in coin mode making the machine just shut up...does that ring a bell or is it likely just me?

Thanks for any help, Dan

Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, good god man, have you lost it :dontknow: I should be the last person to ask :laughing7:

I originally went for the Ace 250 for 2 reasons. First was I always wanted to metal detect and didn't want to go for a more expensive one until I knew I would like the hobby. The second was this seemed to be the best machine IMO for the money. It had all the bells & whistles as some more expensive machines and I could always upgrade later.

As for the Ace 150; sorry, I know nothing about that machine. I did however find that the 250 was pretty accurate in pinpointing with the stock coil. Now being the rocket scientist I am, I opted for that Excalibur coil that is 16" x 9" to cover more ground at a quicker pace. Now I can cover larger areas quickly, but find myself in the same situation as you as far as pinpointing. :icon_scratch: So to better assist in pinpointing I bought the Bullseye II, what a waste of money. I'd eye find a target faster than that will locate it with a beep :laughing7:

I think I'm a little different from most of the hobbyists here, in the sense that I don't care what I find. I would love to go to better areas and find the CW goodies, but these areas too far away. So I just have a little fun locally and hit flea markets and the beaches.

So the goods I find are mostly gnarled pennies and pull tabs, but I am always meeting interesting people so that is my treasure. I hope that makes sense :tongue3: That being said, you won't be seeing too many posts from me on today's finds. :laughing9:

F

Felinepeachy

Have you tried practicing pinpointing with a visible target? I would toss down a dime and learn how to pinpoint it and then bury it at different depths. Just my opinion :tongue3:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That only helps to a certain degree, once you are detecting outside forces will just have their way with you. Like I said, I am happy to walk away with a good story :icon_thumleft: I'll leave all the good stuff for the true diehards.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take an make yourself a little test garden an bury coins etc about 4-6 inches down , I measured them to 5 even ,bury your coin then place a gold T on the spot so you can see the spot but it wont set the machine off an just practice ..........I have done this with common clad , old coins , jewelry an also gold nuggets.

Hope this helps you out :icon_thumleft: HH Tank

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
spartacus53 said:
I opted for that Excalibur coil that is 16" x 9" to cover more ground at a quicker pace. Now I can cover larger areas quickly, but find myself in the same situation as you as far as pinpointing.
I have a Ace 250 with a 10 x 14” EXcelerator search coil , pinpointing is a little off but it you use the front edge of the coil and mark your target from two different directions. then use the center bar of the coil from both ways it narrows it down

same should work with the Ace 150 coil, use the front edge of the coil and mark your target from two different directions

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan it is easier to pinpoint with the 250 model but there is a problem with the design of both that users of other machines don't suffer from.
This is that the target doesn't register in one spot at all depths. As the target gets further from the coil in ground it "travels" away from the hot spot on the coil for shallow coins. So the standard methods of learning to pinpoint don't work.

Brian

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See Dan, I even got the product name and coil size wrong.. :laughing9: :laughing9:

It shows you how much attention I am paying. :tongue3: Thank god for my disclaimer :laughing7:

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
spartacus53 said:
See Dan, I even got the product name and coil size wrong.. :laughing9: :laughing9:

It shows you how much attention I am paying. :tongue3: Thank god for my disclaimer :laughing7:

well you didn't forget to put your cloths on before you went out did you? if not you ain't in bad shape yet :laughing7:
or left to go hunting and forget your machine :thumbsup:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dld said:
spartacus53 said:

well you didn't forget to put your cloths on before you went out did you? if not you ain't in bad shape yet :laughing7:
or left to go hunting and forget your machine :thumbsup:

That is very debatable, I was wearing a hat and sun glasses if that counts. You can see the picture Bigscoop took of me while I was busy MD'ing. He even had the nerve to call me a troll, go figure :tongue3: He posted them in the everything now section. Watch out, and be careful who you are nice to here :laughing7:

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Sometimes I don't bother using the pinpoint function on my Ace 250. When I have a repeatable signal I start pulling back slightly on each swing even as I make each swing a bit shorter. There comes a point where the signal disappears. Then I move forward and it comes back. Mark the spot (just inside the inner loop) where it comes back with just a little coil movement. Now search the area at 90 degrees. Again mark the spot at the edge of the signal. You now have two points of the circumference of the circle you'll need to strike that object. Unfortunately sometimes you will do just that. Other times you'll see that the object is too big to be a coin or it's oddly shaped. Then it's up to you if you want to dig.

Big iron really messes with my Ace, and I'll never buy another detector that gives no auditory clue other than the all or nothing ding ding ding, dang dang dang, bzzt bzzt bzzt. Even my $80 Chinese detector could clip the signal or double-beep so you knew when the discrimination was being overwhelmed.

OP
OP
B

BigDan

Thanks everyone...

I appreciate the help. The advice seems to be working a bit in my practices, or just knowing where I buried the coins was making me cheat...but, it seems to be helping.

I can't wait to get out to my ghost town and try again...I especially like the marking and then 90 degree turn and marking again trick...as I suspect it'll help me locate the big iron pieces. Those little square nails are everywhere and though I still dig them....the day I dug 9 in a straight line in about ten feet of ground just about blew my mind. I've found horseshoes, hinges, even an old blacksmiths hammer...and I'd like to find more big stuff this fall.

You guys are tops! You too, Spartacus....don't sell yourself short.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread