Upgrading to a new detector.

-Keith

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
I would like advice on upgrading to a new detector.

What detector I have and how I use it: I currently have a White's Classic II and only have been detecting for a few months. So far I have detected mostly on private property...
1) my house, built in 1985 - previously woodland surrounded by a farm
2) around a business in the downtown region of a small town since it was founded in ~1850
3) some land around a mansion built ~1820 and continuously occupied since then. Not around the actual house, but on some of the original lands ~100 yrds from the house. Only can get to this place a few times a year.

I hope to get permission to detect where an high school stood from ~1910 to 1970.

I have also done a little hunting in an older city park, which I'm sure has been extensively detected over the years.

What I've found so far:
1) a hand full of clad, most of these are in the grass's roots on an inch or two deeper.
2) a 1943 quarter (from spot #2, where the grass had been cleared away for a new walkway).
3) a small decayed leather change pursue with 7 coins ranging from 1930 to 1950 (from spot 3).

Observation on detector:
1) In an air test, it seems like I can spot a quarter at ~5in.
2. The White Classic II is a beep and dig machine. There is a dial to turn to change discrimination and another for sensitivity. The discrimination seems to work pretty well. Even at the highest sensitivity, I don't get any false positives.

My thoughts:
1) Given that the only older coins I have found were either where the grass and top soil was cleared away or in a group of coins all together, perhaps my machine cannot detect deep enough to find a single coin at its normal depth.

2. I would like a machine that gives more info than a beep or no beep. I'm surprised by how much info there s in the beep, but more would be better.

I would appreciate any comments on the first thought I posted and suggestions on possibly upgrading. My goal for the upgrade are to get a machine that can find deeper coins and give me more info in the sound than a single beep. I am not looking for a great machine, but one that I can continue to learn with over the next couple of years. Still, if I am going to spend money to upgrade, I would like the new machine to be significantly better than the one I already have. Cheap is good but I wouldn't mind spending up to $600 if the machine was noticeably better than say the $400 range. The price is for the machine and any recommended coil.

- Keith

Upvote 0

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Garrett Ace 300 and it will go about 5 or 6 inches.....Hope to upgrade soon also.....Been looking at the Teknetics. according to utube some of those air test at 12 inches.

OP
OP
K

-Keith

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
I was told be someone that I should provide the following info if I want suggestions on a detector. Some of this was in the original post, but might be lost among the extraneous details.

Budget: $400-$600. If there was a machine that was significantly better than others but a bit more, I would consider it but this is a good starting range.

Location: I live in central OH near Columbus. I will mostly detect here with occasional trips to Western NC (near Ashville).

What I want to find: Optimized for coins and but will occasionally look for relics.

Weight: Lighter is probably a plus but I am young and fit enough that heavier should not be a problem.

-Keith

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Keith, there is nothing wrong with what you have right now. Your coil has to go over it to find it. You've only been doing this for a few months now, get to know the ropes first before you start chasing dreams. A lot of us here have been doing this for many many years and we know it's not always the biggest and most expensive detector that's going to find the choice targets. Give youself a little more time and enjoy the hobby.

Happy Hunting
Desertfox

RWJR13

Apr 25, 2007
MESQUITE, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT & Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keith....Look at a MXT or MXT PRO.....Either one of those will keep you going for years...

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keith,
Slow down. Slow down. Youv'e only owned the machine for a few months. No need to upgrade. The Classic is a good machine. Use it. Use it. Keep a notebook on what and where. Learn what the md is telling you. If your'e not finding good stuff, move to another location and slow down. When youv'e finally made that connection with the earth, the stuff will come! TTC

OP
OP
K

-Keith

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
Thanks to everyone that posted comments.
I think I'll finish out the season with what I have and then make a decesion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread