All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
these were a very long way from there home!!!

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 343
  • scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 341

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Those things that the two of you mention were definitely out of place!! :thumbsup:
Just off the top of my head I have found an Oklahoma tax token the East TN. mountains, and a Mississippi tax token in Niota, TN.
My detecting buddy found a 1905 (?) United States Territorial Philippine Centavo and I found an 1915 French "quarter" on the same site in Monroe County, TN.

There is more, if this is what you meant, M Bryan!
Regards, SkyPilot

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skypilot02 said:
Those things that the two of you mention were definitely out of place!! :thumbsup:
Just off the top of my head I have found an Oklahoma tax token the East TN. mountains, and a Mississippi tax token in Niota, TN.
My detecting buddy found a 1905 (?) United States Territorial Philippine Centavo and I found an 1915 French "quarter" on the same site in Monroe County, TN.

There is more, if this is what you meant, M Bryan!
Regards, SkyPilot
The French quarter and the Centavo on the same site.......that is odd. Got some more?

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out this giant oval shaped Chinese coin I dug out of a park. It dwarfs the barber dime. I identified it in the World Coin Book and it dates from the 1880's.

Attachments

• ChineseCoin091.jpg
    ChineseCoin091.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 330

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Sonoma County Mike said:
Check out this giant oval shaped Chinese coin I dug out of a park. It dwarfs the barber dime. I identified it in the World Coin Book and it dates from the 1880's.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The French quarter and the Centavo on the same site.......that is odd. Got some more?

Sure! :thumbsup: At that same site, I found like 7 Mercury dimes, 4 of which were 1916 (no D!) to1920, 5 through 7 were 1936- 1944. One AU 1915 Barber dime.
One 1920 Standing Liberty quarter, one each 1932, 1934 Washington Quarter.
One huge gold ring found by my buddy, with a very small diamond set in black onyx. and scads of wheat pennies, but.......................
No Indian head pennies! :icon_scratch:

And (to me!) the real kicker: A buried Smith and Wesson .22 auto pistol, loaded and still in the holster!
The Sherrif's Department returned it to me just last month. It was involved in a crime in the 1970's.
I will try to think of some more, MB! :thumbsup: Great idea for a post! :thumbsup:

Regards, SkyPilot

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once when I was in Spain, me and a friend used to go to a bar where all these guys hunted
with metal detectors to see what they found.....
One day this guy showed up with a LARGE CENT that he had dug from one of the sites
he had been working...... he wanted us to buy it from him, saying it was from our country...
but it was in poor shape and had these pock marks all over it, so I declined....
but can you imagine how such a coin got lost somewhere in the countryside of Spain ?
Occasionally we also turned up Wheat backs, but only a very few....
The US has had military bases there since WWII. But the large cent.... now that was a mystery.

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The one time I hit a tot lot last year, I started finding hand wrought square nails in the pea gravel.

Doug

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a Canadian badge in the surf in Florida... still have it. I can just hear the last words he spoke after retiring to Florida, "Good riddence". (then tossed it) TTC

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I found an Iraqi quarter on the beach in O.C. Md. at 110Th st. Strong current I guess. LOL

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several years ago I was at Myrtle Beach and since I was not having much luck in my usual spots
I went to a differant area of the beach to see if I could find something...
At the water I did not find any targets so I went up to the dry sand and was walking around
and got this really loud signal that read like a Silver Dollar.
It turned out to be a Maria Theresa Thaller coin, silver and 5 feet away I dug another one.
The coins have a date of 1780, but apparently these are recent mints that all carry that date.
No reason why these should have been there.
I took them to my club meeting and put them on the board thinking I would get a high mark for
these finds, but apparently everyone thought I had bought them and put them there becuase
not a single person voted for them, over wheat pennies and Mercs...
I no longer belong to that club or any club, but I still have never been able to figure why these would
have been on the beach there...
Here is a pic of one of them.

Attachments

• MT-THALLER2 (Large) (Small).jpg
    MT-THALLER2 (Large) (Small).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 225

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 6 years ago I was hunting a very small French site dating about 1730-1750. I had found some buttons and other misc. items but no coins to that point. After about 20 minutes I finally got the killer signal. I don't dig many silver coins in general, so don't hear that sound often, but man this one was just screaming silver to me. ----Note: Up to that point I had hunted many similar sites over several years digging who knows how many holes, finding many coins, but never an early French silver--- So I cut a big plug, was very careful moving the dirt, start probing and see a silver disk! I think finally, my first early French silver, and even if it's not, I got myself a 2 reale! I slowly removed some of the loose dirt and my first thought was oh, it doesn't look Spanish or French so maybe old British, then I turned it a little more to see Queen Victoria! >:( It was a Canadian silver quarter stuck in a little patch of finds that every last one dated to the mid. 1700s.

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
About 6 years ago I was hunting a very small French site dating about 1730-1750. I had found some buttons and other misc. items but no coins to that point. After about 20 minutes I finally got the killer signal. I don't dig many silver coins in general, so don't hear that sound often, but man this one was just screaming silver to me. ----Note: Up to that point I had hunted many similar sites over several years digging who knows how many holes, finding many coins, but never an early French silver--- So I cut a big plug, was very careful moving the dirt, start probing and see a silver disk! I think finally, my first early French silver, and even if it's not, I got myself a 2 reale! I slowly removed some of the loose dirt and my first thought was oh, it doesn't look Spanish or French so maybe old British, then I turned it a little more to see Queen Victoria! >:( It was a Canadian silver quarter stuck in a little patch of finds that every last one dated to the mid. 1700s.

You know, I saw this on Roman sites when I was in Spain.
Obviously Roman, no Spanish buttons, no shoe buckles, no Spanish bells or other do dads....
Roman coins and lead and stuff of only Roman origin....
Then right on top you can see it with your eye's... a 2 real from the 1700's only one of course..
not a hoard.....
why one or 2 Spanish coins and no other Spanish item whatsoever ?
My thought was that in the 1700's the site had extensive ruins, and the Spanish aristocracy visited
these places like tourists.... but only dropped coins, nothing else....
I could say a farmer, but what poor farmer you ever heard of would carry around a silver real
that back then had to be worth a small fortune ???

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
skypilot02 said:
And (to me!) the real kicker: A buried Smith and Wesson .22 auto pistol, loaded and still in the holster!
The Sherrif's Department returned it to me just last month. It was involved in a crime in the 1970's.

I'd like to hear the details...especially the part about the SD returning a firearm used in a crime. You'd think they would need it for evidence. Pretty cool find.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
EdleBrock said:
I'd like to hear the details...especially the part about the SD returning a firearm used in a crime. You'd think they would need it for evidence. Pretty cool find.

Hello, EdleBrock.
Yes the Sherrif's Department did need the weapon for sure, but the offence (robbery/homicide), took place back in the 1970's and the person was convicted of the crime
by other evidence and was sentenced (and spent) the maximum time in prison.
Sooo, by the time I found the weapon (By the way, I incorrectly stated that the weapon was a S&W .22 auto, when in fact it is a Colt .22 automatic
pistol)
the case was closed and the guilty party had already finished the time (I believe the person has died since then), so a background check on the weapon was in order. I might add that due to the location of the discovery, everyone aware of it (four people counting myself, plus the S.D.), were fairly
certain what is was used for and who had buried it. Those are the reasons I was able to get it back, EdleBrock :thumbsup:
Really the only issue was to be certain that it wasn't stolen or used in other crimes, but that seemed to take forever!!
I don't really know what I'll do with it, it is in pretty sad (most likely restorable though) condition...... Pretty much an odd, out of place find, nonetheless!

Thanks for the interest, EdleBrock!! Warmest regards, SkyPilot

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
skypilot02 said:
Hello, EdleBrock.
Wow, great story. It's a wonder in this anti-gun environment that a law enforcement body would actually return a firearm. If it's a Colt Woodsman it might be worth your time to see if you can have it restored. There's a big following for that model. Even if the small parts are beyond help, the frame may be worth a few dollars.

Good luck to you.

Jim

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Thank you very much, Jim!
I don't remember the model but I'll check and see if it is a Woodsman, thanks for the ideas! :thumbsup:
I agree wholeheartedly, it is a shame about the anti gun sentiments that most law enforcement agencies seem to hold!
My county has a very small population, and the Sherrif's Department (well, all of the local law enforcement agencies) are really great folks for the most part.
Of course being a rural county in a Southern state makes a big difference in all the folks' attitude toward the Second Amendment.
Thank God I am able to live where "everyone knows everyone else", it is a blessing and a curse!! LOL!!

Thanks for showing intrest, Jim! :thumbsup:
Great hunting and good luck! :icon_thumleft:
Warmest regards, Richard aka SkyPilot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions