Detecting school houses and farms

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009
I posted a similar question about this earlier, but i think i might have accidentally given the wrong idea. First of all, i live in ND. No civil war stuff here, just tons of old abandoned farms which are really not too old (mostly 20th century) So still old enough for wheaties and silver, but not for colonial stuff (again, the location) I live out in the country, so these places are at my fingertips. However, especially with the school house, i don't think i will find many if any coins because of the great depression era that was at the same time. I'm thinking that if kids could even bring money to school, if they dropped their penny, it would be like now days some one losing a key date coin, you would look until you found it. Same with the farmers. They obviously didn't go to town often, so their money probably stayed in a dresser in their house.
However, i am not saying there won't be coins. For example, maybe when the farmer goes into town, he drops a coin getting out of his car at home. And there's still the relics. Probably tons of those (plus tracter parts and scrap iron >:() but still, artifacts are a big possibility.
Sorry if this post got kinda long, but basically, i'm just wondering what locations would be best to hunt at, and in what specific places (ex. by mailbox, by trees, etc.)
Thanks!
twinsrule

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
twinsrule said:
I posted a similar question about this earlier, but i think i might have accidentally given the wrong idea. First of all, i live in ND. No civil war stuff here, just tons of old abandoned farms which are really not too old (mostly 20th century) So still old enough for wheaties and silver, but not for colonial stuff (again, the location) I live out in the country, so these places are at my fingertips. However, especially with the school house, i don't think i will find many if any coins because of the great depression era that was at the same time. I'm thinking that if kids could even bring money to school, if they dropped their penny, it would be like now days some one losing a key date coin, you would look until you found it. Same with the farmers. They obviously didn't go to town often, so their money probably stayed in a dresser in their house.
However, i am not saying there won't be coins. For example, maybe when the farmer goes into town, he drops a coin getting out of his car at home. And there's still the relics. Probably tons of those (plus tracter parts and scrap iron >:() but still, artifacts are a big possibility.
Sorry if this post got kinda long, but basically, i'm just wondering what locations would be best to hunt at, and in what specific places (ex. by mailbox, by trees, etc.)
Thanks!
twinsrule

The answer is.... Anywhere you're finding older targets. Sometimes you might come on to a hot spot, and of course that's an area you want to stick around. Usually the closer to the house the better because that's where the most activity took place.

PS... Definitely don't rule out old coins just because the farms existed through the depression. There was plenty of old coins still in circulation once the economy came back.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good start would be where clotheslines would have hung, vegetable garden areas,
and along the most direct route from the kitchen to the outhouse :)

If there are any porches, check around and UNDER if possible.

Good luck!

deap digger

Greenie
Jul 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
that era of farms is a grate place to find a cashay. I would look everywhere and then some.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've hunted at least 50 farmyards in the last two years. I dont find much near the house because of all the coal, tin, buried tanks, etc. My best finds are in the yard near the road, because lots of times fill dirt was brought in and spread. Same thing if there are any newer additions built on the home. I also make good finds near the mailbox area, and near the end/edge of the drive. Good luck! ffd

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt a ton of farm houses, front yards produce the best for me, from the front door to the mailbox is always a hotspot, under shade trees where peple sit to stay cool or take a nap, along sidewalks, along driveway where they got in and out of the car....etc....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread