Looking for questions to ask, or things to look for, re: some research Im doing

ohiotech

Jan 4, 2007
Dayton, Ohio.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark with stock 8" and CSC
Looking for questions to ask, or things to look for, re: some research I'm doing

I'm working on researching the location of some items that were buried or hidden some years ago. I have found someone who is familiar with the terrain and some of the legends of this hidden booty. That said, and with some of the research I am doing and have done, I have been approached by this person to talk about the topic and person(s) responsible for hiding this cache.

My question for y'all, since I have never ventured past my arm chair for research.... what kinds of questions should I ask him?

He's already indicated that he has knowledge of the legend and possible locations, but I want to take conversation and dialog past the typical "What do you know?" I want to be able to get him to talk about things that he doesn't think that are related or important so that I can document them and make the decision that they're not worth anything or if they're actually tied to the potential location.

It won't take me long to know if he's pulling my leg or if he's really got any knowledge on the tale because of some of the research already done.

I know that I'm going to ask about markings, disturbed land from that time, variations on the tales, names of people and relations to the person responsible for hiding the cache, if anyone else came looking for it, if so, who, when, and the such. Please provide anything that can help me get in the mindset of the who's and what's of what not to forget to ask or consider.

Please forgive me for staying a little cryptic with what the tale is about because I would like to stay objective and not get too lost in the tale itself. When all is said and done, and I've had a chance to actually go out to the site for a search with my own eyes and equipment, I will come back and fill in the blanks and provide more details on the tale and my findings.

And yes, I'll be keeping very copious notes; including photographs and whatever else that I can get my hands on.

Thanks in advance for any advice, including reading materials about what to research and not just where to do the research.

Ohiotech

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: Looking for questions to ask, or things to look for, re: some research I'm d

I can't help you with potential questions to ask (beyond the obvious), but just want to warn you about this: Anyone who's been in this hobby long enough, will concur: treasure stories are a "dime a dozen". It's not uncommon to be approached by people when they see you detecting, or friends or neighbors who find out you're into this, who spin fabulous tales of "sure fired leads". But when you probe it long enough, it's always the "someone who told someone who told someone" type stuff. I've even had people ask me if I know about certain legends, caves, local treasure, etc.... and talk about it as if it's fact. Yet then I recognize what they're relating is info. that came from a local "ghost tales book" written by a local author, who spins local historical snippets, weaving a treasure story into it, just to sell to tourists (as I'm in a touristy/historical area). You see the human psychology at work? If it's "in a book" or "because your good old uncle bob told you when you were a kid around the campfire", then by golly, it must be true.

So all i can tell you, maybe I'm a kill-joy, but I don't take stock in much treasure lore stories, the very second I start hearing about the "someone who told someone" type stuff.

OP
OP
O

ohiotech

Jan 4, 2007
Dayton, Ohio.
Detector(s) used
Re: Looking for questions to ask, or things to look for, re: some research I'm doing

I don't consider you a kill joy. I will tell you that I came across his name because of my research. I contacted him about the land, not the tale, and then he started talking about the land AND the tales. Because of that, I consider him being truthful; regardless of the quantity of knowledge that he supposedly holds.

The area is considered great for hiking and exploration of natural resources, he was helping people just for that. On a lark, I asked him a vague question, and that's when he came out with the "did you ever hear the story that so and so was here?" and gave me several accounts of the tale, and family, etc. He's very passionate about helping people that are interested in exploring and hiking the lands and caves. Living there so long, he feels like he's a part of that land and feels compelled to show his love of that land to anyone interested in it. That said, I'm going to be calling him this weekend and talking with him. Also, so you know, he's about 1500 miles, so he's not doing this to draw people there. Again, I found his name because of some research.

So please don't worry about being considered a naysayer. You want to help keep people like me on their toes and not be shammed or waste their time, and that's what family does. This is why I opted to ask this question here and am thankful to anyone who has any constructive input.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Looking for questions to ask, or things to look for, re: some research I'm doing

A serious hunt for a serious cache is usually an expensive proposition, don't even think about pursuing the actual hunt until you're 100% certain and 100% capable. (Depending on the type of cache/caches, a stock metal detector probably isn't going to cut the mustard.) "Be prepared and have a good, solid plan all around." Having said that, in my mind, below are the things you need to "Do First" in regards to questions for the landowner. If you are already 75% certain that your caches exist and that you are equiped to deal with the chase, then you need to lock things up all nice and tidy now, there will be plenty of time for questions later.
Have a solid contract with the land owner, something you might touch base on with him, be sure that contract provides you exclusive rights for X number of years. That contract should also include a "gag agreement" so that you're activities remain under the radar. If word gets out about what you are doing and what you are looking for then you and the landowner are going to have a much higher risk for unwanted problems. If this is a large track of land then use the agreed cover story of conducting a general survey for old land markers, wells, and related old fence lines, etc. Consult a lawyer, know the laws you might be dealing with in the event that you make a substantial discovery, even on private ground. This is in the landowner's best interest as well. Once these things are done you will have plenty of time to talk to the landowner. If you are already 75% certain that this is land with great potential then lock it up now and get it in writing, before the landowner is subjected to other insight and second thoughts. Of course, this only applies to caches that are large enough to be worth all this arranging. Just my two cents.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010

>>treasure stories are a "dime a dozen".

Man, do I agree with that. In my opinion, and I am chasing one involving Moctezuma's Tomb, it doesn't get much bigger than that legend wise, if you take it in any other way except for fun, you deserve all the misery you get.

Let me add here that it is absolutely 99.99999% documented that my wife is a descendant of the family of Moctezuma, so this is not a insane legend. It is just not likely.

I am much more interested in the history than any amount of imaginary treasure, because here it all belongs to the government anyway.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Thoughts:
Do as much research as you can before you head out. One rule of thumb I use is $1 of research is worth $20 of cost in the field. And as was mentioned above, get the landowner's permission in writing (you may have to give up something for that). I'd also create a written agreement between your contact and yourself; and consider giving an added incentive to that person--like a % of the deal or an invitation to join you or shared public credit should you find something of note. Stress more of what you can do for this contact than what the contact can do for you. Ask him what more can he offer to support his story and thereby increase your MUTUAL chances of a successful recovery. (JFK's "Ask not...." speech comes to mind.)
Don.....

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Re: Looking for questions to ask, or things to look for, re: some research I'm d

The questions you need answered are who, what, where, when, why. Of these by far the most important is WHO, followed closely by WHERE and WHY.

Don't settle for a nebulous who. Lost Dutchman's Mine is a case in point. Unless you like to hear stories told around a campfire, don't think of looking for this if you haven't discovered Jacob Waltz or Jacob Waltzer. Once you've gotten a name, ancestry.com is a good place to start narrowing the field down, as well as the possible dates involved.

OP
OP
O

ohiotech

Jan 4, 2007
Dayton, Ohio.
Detector(s) used

Thanks a lot for all of the input. As for this contact, he's the first of what I hope to be several I eventually interview. He's not looking for anything other than to tell me what he knows. Because of him, I already have a new lead that I need to investigate. This lead was not asked for, nor wrangled out of him. He just likes talking about all that he knows, and he also tells it as "what he's heard", where he heard it from, and what he knows from his own experience because he's seen something himself.

I know that stories are a dime a dozen, and I've already spent a couple of dimes so that I could filter out what is already known so that I don't have to continue to get lost in that known and obvious part of the tale. I also came across an old map of the land last night, funny too... it's got 3 parts of it blocked or erased. Why? Now I want to find the original, or one that predates the one I found so that I can make a comparison.

I know that the land owner(s) only half heartedly believe in the tales, and have already stated that they wouldn't allow anyone to dig on the property unless they have some real proof. What sucks is that proof comes in the way of being able to dig sometimes, so I know that I have my work cut out for me with my research. Proof can also come with reporting back with imaging results, but I wouldn't do that unless there were contracts in place. I expect to do at least 8 to 10 more months of research, if not a year and a half. This is a major project for me, and being OCD, I don't expect to do it lightly. It includes genealogical research as well.

I also expect to make as least one expedition out there as a "camper" without any detecting equipment so that I can check out the lay of the land myself, verify any markings known and learned about, etc, within those first 8 to 10 months. I don't have to worry about any gag agreements at the time because no one knows what my true intentions are at this time. So far, they know that I'm researching the stories and tales for a book I am considering on writing. And whether or not I do engage in going out to find the answer to my true questions (Is there really a cache, and where), I will still have one heck of a story to tell to my sons.

All of y'all are being exceptionally helpful here, and it seems that the overwhelming concern is about rights and contracts, which will come within due time for me. Since I have decided that I want to go past my armchair and actually get out to the location, I knew that I needed to do more than read about the story, get caught up in the emotion of some great find, and get out to do some actual discovery and fact finding for myself. Heck, there may not be anything out there, or maybe someone already got to it, who knows. This isn't so much as a treasure hunt, but being part of the history of that story. My wife asked me, "If you didn't detect or know anything about the treasure or cache itself, would you still be interested in chasing after the footsteps of this story?" I told her, "Of course!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions