hunting old churches

N

neu

i found this old church the other day, its still in use, but its very old, it used to be a church/school house, the site has a picnic area an outhouse and a recreation area, im sure this would be a great place to hunt for old coins.
how can i get permission to hunt a church, who do i contact in this case??

Upvote 0

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
I have hunted many churches and I always approach the preacher. Being cordial and considerate I have never been turned away. Assure Him/them that you will do no damage to the property and maybey offer to give the church some of what you find. I would give any church all of it, personally, if they want. It never has came to that though. Good luck & HH! Chris

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get the permission, you should head straight for that outhouse. There is probably coins all around there from people in a hurry to do you know what! :D

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Decades ago church hunting was my main area of detecting. I probably detected a hundred churches. Coins were found all around the church area but if I had to pick a best area it would be in the front near the front steps. Look for old trees and detect around them. Neglect nothing as those coins could be anywhere- After the main grounds-don't forget the parking area.

These places were hit hard in the last 40 years but we have deeper detectors now and these are? better able to deal with trash. Look for those deep ones the BFO users missed. If I was detecting a real old church today which I assume was detected many times before- I would remove some of the surface iron which has masked coins from previous detectorists.

Good luck
George

OP
OP
N

neu

the good and bad thing of my area is that no one around here metal detects... its good because i know the area is not gonna be cleaned out or over hunted, but bad because its harder to get permission, most people just view it as some kind of greedy money hungry hobby.

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
One of our biggest foes is the stigma that Md'ers leave holes. It is our responsability to change that.
Getting permission is one thing, leaving a good impression is another. I have many people to verify that I leave a place in as good a condition as I found it. Much of the time my first hunt is short and I spend more time talking with the owner/caretaker than I do hunting. I want them to know what I'm doing and to see for themselves that I will respect the property. After that, no problem. Good luck & HH! Chris

OP
OP
N

neu

yeah im working on my social engineering. i mentioned park hunting the other day and their problem was that was they thought i would mess up the grounds.. i tried to show them that i had been detecting and there was no sign of a hole or damage, then i tried to demonstrate how i dug.. but to no avail. i was in the middle of talking 'see when i take out the plug of soil, it fits back into the same hole with no signs of being damaged' the ranged got annoyed at this and told me to leave

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I was kicked out of a city ball park once for just that reason. The mayor, however is a close friend of mine and he took care of that for me. It really boils down to the person in charge. Most rangers, I have noticed, are either retired and are fair and good to talk to. The young ones are the ones with an attitude most of the time. Like I said once before , find an old timer, talk alot, make a friend and usually your in. Let me know how it works out. C ya & HH! Chris

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate those peons that are on power trips and have to act like hard asses to feed thier out of proportion, overblown egos. Barney Fifes need to go! ;D

serb535

Sep 10, 2004
cleveland ohio
Detector(s) used
whites prizm III
i hunt the parks here in ohio, although a permit is not required i wrote to the dept head and got one any way it was free but now theres is no question about if it ok or not. i carry it with me at all time when detecting in the valley.(metroparks) mostly lost of trash but wil find the good one sooner or later!

tomogden

Nov 4, 2004
Where in Ohio are you? I'm in the Toledo area and am looking for fellow TH/MD in the area to meet. I am a total "Newbie/Wannabee" and have just started looking into the hobby.

I was researching Ohio State Parks, and here is what the DNR has to say about "Metal Detecting in Ohio State Parks"

"Can I use a metal detector?"

"Use of metal detectors is allowed on the sandy portion of the beach area at any of our state park beaches. Written permission must be obtained from the park manager at the park of your choice to use a metal detector in any other park area."

I'm not disputing that you haven't been bothered or run off...just giving you a heads up!

Thanks

Tom

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted many many old churches and its pretty much a hit or miss proposition, sometimes you do very well,
sometimes (most of the time) you find nothing at all... been scoured clean by my former detecting predicesers.
(I've been to a few where I dug lots of things, knowing this those place that produse nothing have to have been cleaned out)
Richard

P.S. Anyone intereseted in trying some Churches or fields in NC I'm open to a new partner if anyone is interested.
RICHARD DAVIS [email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread