A Newbie would like to find some silver...but reluctant to ask permission.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hello All!
I'm also a newbie. I've really enjoyed reading the topics here and have really gained alot of knowledge.
I've had my detector for several years now, but never had the chance to use it much. I now live in Aiken, SC. and have some leisure time. I moved up here a couple of years ago from Florida. I'm a single Mom, and have always enjoyed TH'ing. I've been actively searching for about 2 weeks now, and have found about 12.00 in clad and a silver ring and a pair of earrings. Aiken is an old town full of "rich" history. I'm sooooo excited about finding some really cool things here. I want to start searching for silver coins and jewelry. There are lots of old churches and hundreds of old homes. I'm a little apprehensive on asking permission to search church grounds and home sites.
Can I get some advice on the easiest way to clean clad coins? I would like to recycle them.

Keep up the good work! I look forward to hearing your replies.
Thanks........Moon

Upvote 0

salvatorparadise

Mar 31, 2003
bexley, oh
Hey, this is funny, here i'm posting looking for people in Augusta, and you're in Aiken. I've been detecting since i was about 12, that was about 12 years ago. I had a lot easier time asking permission when i was a kid, people seemed to think i was more harmless then!!! But you're right, this area is great for history. I haven't been out in a couple years and I think I'm going to start with some parks or some school grounds, where asking permission isn't often needed because the land is publc, as long as you're neat and all you'll be OK there. Once you get back into detecting, and brush up on digging holes and filling them back in, it'll probably be easier to ask permission, because then digging will really be in your blood again and you won't be able to resist. We should get together sometime to do some detecting!

Adrian

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Aiken is a very historical town. Trying to get permission is not hard at all. Just as salvatorparadise said, practice recovery without leaving a trace, then ask permission. You will be a success. I live in Pickens county and have met with a bit of resistance. People have a negative idea of what Md'ing is. We just have to show them that it is not so bad. Any way Aiken has a rich history in the Cival war era as well as early american history. The library is the first place to go. Research is where we spend much of our time in th'ing. Drop us a line if we can help in any way. Good luck & HH! Chris

OP
OP
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks for the advice! I will go to the local library. I drove around quite a bit today to scout some areas. Not much out there unless you know where you are going.

Any advice on cleaning my found coins?

Happy Hunting............Moon

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
For clad it's as simple as a rock tumbler and some sand. The tricky stuff is the silver. I would not use any cleaner. The soil in Aiken county is not so bad, so cleaning is a bit easier. Soak in spring water for a few days to help loosen any soil. Then a tumble in some fine polishing media like corn cob or pecan shell usually does the trick. Pennies can be a bother. I use electrolosis but tumbling might be your best bet. All of us have messed up a time or two, so don't worry. Just have fun. After I clean my silver then I use a polishing cleaner to keep them clean. Wizards polish works best for me. Just don't rub very hard, let the polish do the work. And never leave polish on a coin. Good luck & HH! Chris

N

neu

sounds like you're really into th'ing moon, thats really good to hear. hope u have great luck and great finds... and please remember to post a lot on here, when i first started posting i thought it wouldnt amount to much, but found out it was much the opposite. ive learned so much from the people, its amazing. keep us posted on your progress and by god, have fun. ? as for the clad cleaning, i dont really know of a good way to clean them, ive been having the same problem with my clad.

OP
OP
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks for the tip Chris........Where might I find a reasonable rock tumbler? We have a Hobby Lobby here which carries just about everything imaginable.

And thanks for the tips guys. I'm getting so addicted to this new hobbie of mine as I expected I would. I've always been pretty lucky finding money on the ground...MD'ing is a super advantage! Now if I can just get past the stares :o. All those "other" people just don't get it do they! Oh....and this isn't typically something that women do. Already had that comment. One gentleman stopped while I was at a park and when I stood up and turned around he said " Oh! You're a girl!" Good grief! Don't even get me started. And guess what? I have beautiful long nails that I grow myself.....And I haven't broke one yet! ;D

Cindy (Moon)

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The Hobby Lobby had a cheap tumbler last time I stopped by. That will do the trick. I would'nt put too much in one at first. The ones that I use came from a local gem shop. Their great but man they were expensive! Any way watch those nails and good luck! ;) Chris

OP
OP
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks Chris.........you're the bomb! And quick with the reply!

Cindy

N

neu

actually moon i take that back, there are some quick and easy ways ive come across to clean coins of any kind. but its kinda sad that i use these methods as they are mainly old wives tales. but my brother's friend being a chemistry major has helped also. but there are simple ways such as white vinegar in aluminum pan or foil, put the coins in that and the reaction works well to clean any tarnished metal, leave them in that mix for a while, take them out and just simply whipe the crud off them and they look new. i found that presized aluminum muffin cups are good for this.

OP
OP
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks Alan......

I'll definitely try that one! Gotta start somewhere.

Moon

OP
OP
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks DigginD!
I'll be checking on a rock tumbler today. Who knew cleaning these yucky coins could be so easy?

I knew I could count on some great advice!

Happy Hunting everyone!

Moon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread