Augusta, Ga. detecting

salvatorparadise

Mar 31, 2003
bexley, oh
Hello all, i've been a member of this forum for ages but i sorta dropped off for a couple years. I'd been living in Ohio where there wasn't much of the colonial history that i loved when i was in new york. But i just this week moved to Augusta, Ga. I'm wondering if anyone has been to this part of Ga. detecting, or has any general tips for this area, or for Ga. as a whole (laws or attitudes about detecting). I can't wait to get out there...

adrian

Upvote 0

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hey Adrian,
Welcome to the South! I know you are gonna have a ball hunting in Augusta. I'm just getting started myself here in Aiken, SC. I'm sure Augusta have different laws. I would advise checking with the local authorities.

Keep us posted on your first finds and definitely check with the local libraries for some really cool places to get you started!!

Happy Hunting!

Cindy

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Camp MacKenzie:? Located near Augusta.? This might have been from the American Revolution to the Civil War.? I have no more information on it other then that.? It will take research to find it.

Springhill Redoubt:? This site is located on the site of the Augusta Railroad Station, the old fort was built in 1777.

Fort Star:? This was located in Augusta in 1781.

Fort Wilkinson: circa 1807, located on the Oconee River below Milledgeville, Effaced - Quoted from Hamersly Army Register.

Fort Wilkins:? located on the Oconee River near the ford of the Cumberland River, completely destroyed - Hamersly.

That ought to keep you busy.? Watch for the new and approved version of Forts, Camps and Batteries of Georgia, A-Z.? Coming out soon.? Hundreds of sites will be mentioned.

Harry
FlAuthor

OP
OP
S

salvatorparadise

Mar 31, 2003
bexley, oh
FLauthor said:
Camp MacKenzie:? Located near Augusta.? This might have been from the American Revolution to the Civil War.? I have no more information on it other then that.? It will take research to find it.

Springhill Redoubt:? This site is located on the site of the Augusta Railroad Station, the old fort was built in 1777.

Fort Star:? This was located in Augusta in 1781.

Fort Wilkinson: circa 1807, located on the Oconee River below Milledgeville, Effaced - Quoted from Hamersly Army Register.

Fort Wilkins:? located on the Oconee River near the ford of the Cumberland River, completely destroyed - Hamersly.

That ought to keep you busy.? Watch for the new and approved version of Forts, Camps and Batteries of Georgia, A-Z.? Coming out soon.? Hundreds of sites will be mentioned.

Harry
FlAuthor

hey man, thanks a lot
i'm going to go out tomorrow to a park and see what i can't turn up!

thanks!

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Salvatore. Since you no longer live in NY how bout giving me dibs on your old haunting grounds ;D

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hudson Valley Region, near Fishkill and Poughkeepsie.

Could use some locations in that area as i get over to Buffalo sometimes. Thanks 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread