Learned a lesson today

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging a target and still getting a signal at 4" with the pistol probe.....scouped some more dirt and no signal in the hole. Started using the probe on the dirt around the hole. Pinpointer kept going off. After sifting the dirt I couldn't find the target. Pin pointer kept working but couldn't find the target......after a while got discouraged and covered the hole up. Looked on the fresh dirt and seen the token.......almost gave up......I guess if you cant find a target with a pin pointer you neeed a lot of practice....lol

Attachments

• school 011.jpg
    school 011.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 346
  • school 012.jpg
    school 012.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 349
  • school 011.jpg
    school 011.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 338
  • school 012.jpg
    school 012.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 360
Upvote 0

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bryan......nice token and a good lesson learned.

HH, Bottlebum

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
Nahhhh, just GLASSES! Lol happens to me once in awhile too, sometimes they get flipped away from where youre digging or just plain blend in to the ground around you. Good Luck!

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lennon631 said:
Nahhhh, just GLASSES! Lol happens to me once in awhile too, sometimes they get flipped away from where youre digging or just plain blend in to the ground around you. Good Luck!
You may have a point with the glasses ;D.........it seemed I was getting a surround sound from the probe.....

DanRiverMan

Dec 13, 2009
Rockingham County, NC
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC - Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont feel bad my friend, we all have episodes like that every now and then, all of those tales dont get told though..

Just this afternoon I had a pull tab stick with a dab of wet dirt to the BACKSIDE of my digging tool..Just above the handle area where the metal begins..I looked at my digger tip because I have had them stick on the tip while digging{STABBING THEM SO TO SPEAK}..Fooled the crap out of m and spent a good 3 or 4 minutes before I figured it out..I knew I had a hard hitting signal and it just vanished,duh...

Scott

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another trick you may want to try after taking a deep old coin or token out of the hole is to switch you detector to all metal mode and check the hole again. Sometimes there are more than one target in the hole that could be 3 inches or more deeper than the first target. Several times I've dug down about 7 or 8 inches for a wheatie or merc and then get another hit in the same hole that is super deep, probably 9 inches+. Only in all metal mode could I pick it up. In low discrimination I could not get any beep at all. It turned out to be another merc!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has happen to me before also. At least you found your target....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread