Advice on a Purchase Decision

T

trippster19

Well I am finally going to get a new MD. I haven't had one since I was a kid and that was about 25 years ago. I want to get a high-quality detector that I can use for years to come. I will be primarily detectoring at parks, old homesteads, old lumber camps and copper mine ghost towns.

After some research and many hours of searching the web I have limited my choices to:

White's DFX
Minlabs Explorer II
Garrett's GTI 2500

I would appreciate some advice on this decision. Also, if folks could give some recommendations on the must haves when out detectoring and maybe some ideas for good books to read or sites to visit.

Am I asking too much? :wink:

Many Thanks

Upvote 0

Fred

Apr 3, 2003
Princeton,BC,Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Phone the service numbers of each of the Companies and speak directly to a person,then make an informed choice. I went with a new Whites GMT which is primerily for gold. Fred

dodgers11

Jun 4, 2003
Tennessee
I'm just like Diehard Det. I was once in the same boat trying to decide between the Minelab Explorer and the White's DFX. After doing a lot of research I found out that the XLT was basically just like the DFX but about $200+ cheaper. That's what I bought and I'm glad I did. But remember, just like anything else, there's a learning curve with these upper range detectors so stick with it and practice. Try burying different denomination coins at specified depths to help with the learning a bit.

D

dalef

Here'sy 2 cents.

Minelab explorer 2 or xs. Too much plastic. Cheaply made and overpriced. I test both an xs and the new 2 version and they were BOTH slow. My choice for a Minelab would be the Sovereign and I may even get one soon. Though the Fisher CZ-70 pro is good, also.

Speaking of Fisher, I tried out the CZ-70 and the Coinstrike and like the CZ-70 better.

My current main detector is the DFX and I really love it. I probably wouldn't have bought it though if I had purchased the XLT instead of the GTI 2000 a few years back. There are some people that say the XLT doesn't work well near water as in beaches. I have had no problem with freshwater beaches with the DFX.

I bought a GTI 2000 about three years ago and it was nice at the time to have depth readout but it gives off a lot of false signals. I understand this has been fixed in the 2500 along with a backlight and more program options. Too heavy for long term swinging for me. I am going to sell it one of these days.

Anyhow, good luck. You don't have to get the latest and greatest because I still dig pulltabs with the DFX. Don't want to miss a small gold ring.

OP
OP
T

trippster19

Thanks for the advice. I am going to purchase the White's, either DFX or XLT with extra coils.

I will send an update with my opinions.

OP
OP
T

trippster19

I finally purchased the DFX with the extra eclipse 5.3 coil. I should recieve it on the 4th.

I made this decision after trying the DFX, XLT, and Tesoro Cortes. All three were very good but I opted for the DFX.

I will do some hunting this weekend and will send an update when I can.

Thanks!

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350GTA for dry,Fisher 1280X for wet........
I have a Whites 5900 Di Pro, retails for 499.00,I also have a Whites Surfmaster2, was400.00(not made anymore) I have made some great finds with both my Whites detectors, with not 1- minute of problems!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread