Permission for a Inn built in 1791 (fail)

slwilliamssr

Aug 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500
Permission for a Inn built in 1791 (fail)

My son and I were heading out to buy his battery's for his metal detector he has ordered. While driving to the store we went by this really old house that has been for sale for about 4 years now. On our way home we seen that they were having a yard sale and stopped. I talked with the owner and found out the place was built in 1791 and was turned into a Inn in 1795. It is placed on a cross roads and was the main drag in those days as well as today. He said he thought it stopped being an Inn some where around the mid 1800's and was used as a single family home. He bought the place in 1969 and it became an Inn again right up until 2006 when he put it up for sale.

Well long story short, I ask for permission for my son and I to do a little metal detecting on the property and told him we were looking for relic's from the early 1800 and I thought his site might turn up some nice finds. He told me the reason he would not let my son and I detect his property was because someone had got hurt on his property before and he was sued and that is why he is selling the place now. He did wish us luck on finding another site and even told us of a few places to go and ask permission to MD. So it was a fail on a site that could have turned up some nice finds but we got a few leads on other nice lots to check out.

Upvote 0

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
Re: Permission for a Inn built in 1791 (fail)

sorry to hear that :-\. Its these damn lawyers!!!! they is killing america!!! >:( :icon_pirat:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Wait till he sells it, then go ask the new owners :headbang:

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

colorado14ers said:
sorry to hear that :-\. Its these damn lawyers!!!! they is killing america!!! >:( :icon_pirat:
It's 99% of those guys that give the rest of them a bad name.

OP
OP
S

slwilliamssr

Aug 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500

Tom_in_CA said:
Wait till he sells it, then go ask the new owners :headbang:

That is what I'm going to do. Its been for sale now for 4 years so no telling when he will sell it.

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Maybe we can stop this madness by stuffing a lawyer into every hole we dig before packing it back down. Still, it would take hundreds of years to get rid of them all.

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter

Another idea to ease his mind would be to type up a waiver form that states something along the lines of you will not hold anyone liable for any possible injuries that could occur while you are on his property. With that and having your signature releasing him from being liable for you it may up your chances of getting in there. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

slwilliamssr

Aug 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500

jonnyrebel00 said:
Another idea to ease his mind would be to type up a waiver form that states something along the lines of you will not hold anyone liable for any possible injuries that could occur while you are on his property. With that and having your signature releasing him from being liable for you it may up your chances of getting in there. Good luck.

I went back and asked him if I would do that if he would allow me to detect there and he still said no so I'll let it go at that.

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

slwilliamssr said:
jonnyrebel00 said:
I think he doesn't want you to find the bodies.

I went back and asked him if I would do that if he would allow me to detect there and he still said no so I'll let it go at that.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70

It's not the lawyers, it's all the babies that get hurt, then turn around and sue...what ever happened to "If I get hurt, it's my own damn fault"? C'mon, people, let's toughen up some!
Baggins

OP
OP
S

slwilliamssr

Aug 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500

Baggins said:
It's not the lawyers, it's all the babies that get hurt, then turn around and sue...what ever happened to "If I get hurt, it's my own damn fault"? C'mon, people, let's toughen up some!
Baggins

So very true.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread