Tips for how to use cheap detector?

Patriot474

Aug 22, 2010
Well back in the 90s I use to use a rather pricey but old Metal Detector, But I never did learn the best techniques to use that one (which was taken in Katrina) or this cheap thing I found
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-function-metal-detector-67378.html

I would usually wait to hear the hum of the detector, start digging, most of the time finding junk like Iron Pipes, Bottle Caps, Tabs and tops, cans stomped into the ground, alot of landfill trash.

Oh I would find coins, but nothing really notable, mostly pocket change, nothing old.

Recently I live next to an area where from what I heard, was once an old Blacksmith shop from late 1800s and most likely into early 1900s. Doing some digging for brick layouts for steps and installing sewer pipe, ran into a couple old coins not expecting to find, not sure whatever date the dime was, but the V Nickel was 1905. From experience of relatives up in North Louisiana (I live in South Mississippi), who lived next to an area once occupied by a Blacksmith shop, Gold Coins, many other coins, horseshoes, old gun parts, was found just digging out a garden area. While that place is older than this location I am living in right now, is the possibility there to find anything? I would think so, but I need better experience at using a detector and digging for it.

any tips?

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Blacksmith shops can be littered with iron (go figure, they worked with metal, nails, etc... ::)). So ...... especially considering you're new at this, I'd go with a 2-filter machine, like a Tesoro Silver Sabre, Shadow X2, or anything in the Whites classic series. They're easy to use, average around iron well (ie.: minimize masking better than the power-house machines do), and seaprate targets well.

OP
OP
P

Patriot474

Aug 22, 2010
I think a better question is, assuming the detector is half decent to be doing this is, whats the best way to use it to find coins and not other garbage?

Even though I have done plenty of it in the 90s with a Garret, I never did figure out what Disc/Tone, Trigger Button, Sensitivity, and Mode all does and how to accurately set them to weed out the trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread