Trying The Cen-Tech Pinpointer

PaulP_WestKY

Greenie
Aug 20, 2010
West Kentucky
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Picked up the Cen-Tech handheld MD for use as a pinpointer. Local Harbor Freight in Paducah was sold out last week but they called when one came in and set it aside. Great customer service and a hard to beat price at $16.00 and change.

It air tests just fine at a couple inches on a quarter and a bit less on dimes/pennies. Comes with a case, 9v battery, bright white LED to illuminate search area, and emits good loud tone. I realize it will almost certainly not perform as well as a Garrett Pro Pointer, but I'm looking forward to seeing just what it will do later this week as work permits. When I consider all the ways I've blown $16.00 or more in the past, this looks like a reasonable experiment for the money. I'm usually not more than a couple inches out on my digs, if that, so it could be just what is needed.

I'll post the results and in the meantime would be interested in hearing from any who've tried this unit out.

HH

Paul P.

Attachments

• centec00.JPG
    centec00.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 947
Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On my third one, Only one Item of advise Keep it in the case and don't let it get wet!! Oops that is 2. Dirt seems to be its enemy!!!! Keep it in its Case Oops i said that twice!!!! Keep it in its case!!!! HH Chug

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrap it in clear plastic cling wrap and use rubber bands to hold that in place. Or put it into a gallon sized ziplock bag and roll the bag around it to take up the excess, then use rubber bands around the whole thing.

Or, take a cheap can of spray lacquer paint and paint the whole thing. Lacquer is fast drying and nonmetallic.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprisingly, they are pretty good. Terrible quality though. I have the Garrett Propointer and LOVE it. However, the Cen-Tech can come pretty close performance wise. BTW, my buddy has a mod for the cen-tech's where he can get like an extra inch or two on depth :sign13:

It's more than adequate if you don't have anything else. As I said though, just don't expect it to last a long time :thumbsup:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chug and Red said:
On my third one, Only one Item of advise Keep it in the case and don't let it get wet!! Oops that is 2. Dirt seems to be its enemy!!!! Keep it in its Case Oops i said that twice!!!! Keep it in its case!!!! HH Chug

Bad chug,Did i mention to keep it in its case!!!! The third on has lasted severa time longer than the first two just buy following the Keep it in its Case RULE!!!

Ok i will stop HH Chug!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Sure it's cheaply constructed, but for $16+ you get more pinpointer per buck than any other. Its very easy to mod, unlike other pinpointers. Mine, which is a year old, has a bright blue LED which lights when it detects an object. Just hook the two LED leads onto the buzzer and mount in desired location in case.

Here's the surprise! The air test in the tec section shows that it pickes up a dime at the same distance as the Garret.

I don't what all the talk about dust is about. I use mine in dirt and desert dust with no wrapping and no problems. I would like to hear what actual problem dust has caused. I think it gets knocked just because it is inexpensive.

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I agree with Frankn. I have had one for 2 years and it is still functioning great. The cap at the end of the probe fell out but I just glued it back in. No problems since.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Cen-tech and the Garrett. The Cen-Tech is a great unit for the money. It lacks some of the better features of the Garrett which speed up recovery. But it costs significantly less. As others have said it is cheaply made. However, I took mine to the beach last year and had a wave wash over it. But it kept right on ticking.

I take the Garrett with me on every hunt and the Cen-tech stays at home. I consider the Garrett to be a better overall "value". Paying less does not always make an item a better value. It's what you get for the money that counts. But the Cen-tech is a pretty good value itself. Considering how inexpensive it is you won't regret the purchase. It's worth every dollar you paid for it.

Enjoy your new detector!

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have two of them and been using them for several years with no problems.

Dip the probe in plasti-dip and you have eliminated the weak spot.

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on my 4th cen-tech. When I'm in beach sand (wet or dry) I have to be very careful to keep the sand from getting into the switch. I've learned that it pays to tape over the case switch opening and button to seal it. I use black electrical tape. My last one has lasted the longest (over a year).

A common problem with these is that the very cheap wires break where they're soldered to the switch terminals. If it quits, that's the first thing to check (after the battery).

The only other problem in use is that side pressure on the wand can cause false signaling. But it shouldn't be used that firmly anyway. It's not a digging tool.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I used Testers model cement to weld the probe to the case. That solved the loose probe problem. Make sure you use the PLASTIC type glue. You can replace the switch with a sealed type from an electronic store or online. You can add a LED that goes on when it locates something. Just connect the leads to the buzzer. Note: the LED wires only work one way, just reverse them if it doesn't light. If you like you can disconnect the buzzer and just use the light. You can also hook up a cell phone vibrator to the buzzers wires. You can get the vibrator from Radio Shack. The things a lot of fun for $16.

Dtectin junky

Nov 16, 2010
First post, saw this and can contribute! Just got one of the cen-tech's this week, and man I love it!! It may break sometime and when/if it does I'll reply back with how, but for now, this thing will pick out what you cant see right in front of you! Saves a dirt pile too! For $16 bucks and wanting to experiment with the first one, it cant be beat!

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i've had my cen-tech for a couple months of hard use and it works great, i cut the speaker wire and added the micro vibrating motor(which works great) and also changed out my switch to a smaller more sealed switch from radio shack (after the factory switch took a crap). i also added a drop of loc-tite to the nut which holds the probe, this keeps the probe from gettin loose. another thing i did was put a piece of heat shrink at the tip of the probe to keep dirt from getting in around that cap at the end of the probe. i also adjusted the sensitivity up by turning the small screw on the sensitivity pot, by doing this i easily get 3 inches reach on coin sized objects. i use this centech for every hunt and leave my vibraprobe at home now. this was the best 16 bucks i've ever spent and with an additional 8 bucks of customizing i'm very happy.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I'm on my 3rd one this year. All three have had switch problems. I swapped out the switch for one from Radio Shack - worked great until I lost it. Losing a Pro-pointer would ruin my day but I can shrug-off losing one of these.

One thing I have noticed is that extremes of temperature will change it's sensitivity. If it's left in a hot car I can't turn it down low enough to make it stop toning. On a really chilly day I can't turn it up high enough to false tone. I keep it in a warm pocket in cold weather. You can adjust the internal pot, but I glue my replacement switch in so the case is permanently closed.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On my 4 one :dontknow: , cant wait to see if ms clause get me the garrett pinpointer!!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
Question

Has anyone used a pinpointer in an old house, say one they have permission to be searching? Would you just find nails, or possible cache's hidden in the wall? Thanks.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
zerojinx said:
Question

Has anyone used a pinpointer in an old house, say one they have permission to be searching? Would you just find nails, or possible cache's hidden in the wall? Thanks.

Back in the 1970's I found a watch chain, a marble, and a few coins in an abandoned house. I didn't use a pinpointer; vandals had kicked in the walls and I found them at down at floor level by sticking my hand in there. I might as well have been noodling for rats, bats and spiders.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread