researching questions

Truffleshuffle

Sep 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I am new to detecting and I am doing a little resurching for places for a possible hunts when I get my ace 250 after I learn it a little and was wondering Where would I get old maps and things for locations Im looking at. Right now Im resurching two Civil war battlefields around my area and I Would like to know If what I think is where some of the battles took on new maps and photos match up on old maps of the areas. Would like to know best places to look for old maps becuase alot of the places have changed over the years. Also would there be places on the net to look? would a local library be a good place?

Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
One of the best things about researching is learning how to use your computer.

If you already know what the battlefields are called, try typing them into a search engine of your choice, and see what happens. If you don't know what they are called, try researching your county and state for Civil War battlefields, and see if what you are looking for pops up near the top of the list.

OP
OP
T

Truffleshuffle

Sep 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Tuberale said:
One of the best things about researching is learning how to use your computer.

If you already know what the battlefields are called, try typing them into a search engine of your choice, and see what happens. If you don't know what they are called, try researching your county and state for Civil War battlefields, and see if what you are looking for pops up near the top of the list.
I already have done that. I know the sites sort of. I would like to know where to start to look for old maps of the area's around the times of the battles to see If I am right about where I think it took place and look for landmarks of the surrounding area.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
On Antiques Roadshow, saw a drawing of a CW battlefield drawn by one of the officers. Believe there may be a collection of CW battlefield maps available at Smithsonian or other museum, don't remember now.

I probably shouldn't be even talking much about this: darn few CW sites in Oregon except forts, and I tend to specialize in local things.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
There may be a historical society somewhere nearby with old news accounts. Many of the old papers from mid-to-large size cities have old articles on microfilm at the local libraries.

I know there were not any battles near here but there were training grounds, parade grounds, and transportation corridors.

Local papers do have accounts of troop movements and training, including war games as they were something of spectator sport in that time.

Some accounts take note of which farms and groves were used. While many of the names of these places changed since then, at least in this part of the country, the old plat maps bring it right into focus.

If you find any mention of where troops stayed, camped or fought, you're on the way.

On a side note, near a local camp now in an older residential area in town here, some sidewalk work is ongoing. This morning I got a nice looking 1862 IH where some slabs had been pulled. Opens up the imagination as to how and when it fell and from who.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TS,
Although many aspects of a battlefield will change, the things that will not change are the large trees, the general topograaphy and the routes going into and out of a site. Check around the base of very large trees. They were there and the soldiers lay under them. Visualize the terrain where the camps may have been set up. Last, check the routes that came into the site. The troop columns were LONG. They rested along the way. Areas a mile or more from the battle may be as good as the battle site. Good luck. TTC

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
first check your local laws --many of the larger well known CW battle sites are "historic" national parks --in all fed parks metal detecting is a no no *** and thus off limits -- so check up on it first before digging *-- you might have better luck at checking out smaller skirmish or camp site areas --these sites often close by major battlefeild areas but have not yet been "offiically" declared as off limits because in many cases their on nearby private lands :wink: :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
T

Truffleshuffle

Sep 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Tuberale said:
On Antiques Roadshow, saw a drawing of a CW battlefield drawn by one of the officers. Believe there may be a collection of CW battlefield maps available at Smithsonian or other museum, don't remember now.

I probably shouldn't be even talking much about this: darn few CW sites in Oregon except forts, and I tend to specialize in local things.
Well thanks for posting it. You don;.t have to worrie about me thought My cites I would be checking are no where near oregon.

OP
OP
T

Truffleshuffle

Sep 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I want to thank all of you for the helpfull information. It means alot to me.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check the old maps forum on here. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,69.0.html. There are links there for maps of almost everywhere for almost any time period.

Don't forget to look for old, historic newspapers of the area. The on-line papers from the CW are a bit more informative then just general written, vague stories on line. As an example, reading one newspaper from Pa about the Gettysburg battle, the newpapers tells where there were all kinds of skirmishes around Gettsburg, naming landmark creeks and hills. A lot of hills and creeks have retained those names and can get you to a good site away from the "historic" site. They quote correspondence from Generals on battle movement, casualties, prisoners, weapons...etc.

Try college library's online. They, well some, have been digitizing maps and articles from years ago to preserve them. I know Penn State Library has all kinds of old documents digitized.

In general, research is like putting a puzzle together. You get bits and pieces from a variety of sources, you collect them then plan your venture.

Mostly, you have to be patient. You may or may not find a good site right away...but they're out there.

Al

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you located, TS? The very best way to get started is find a hunting buddy. Just post and ask for help. Detectorists are generally helpful people. Now a "treasure hunter" may not share his pet project with you until he gets to know you, but most will help a person get started on the right foot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread