New to MD. Just ordered an ACE 250.

S

sbrowncpr

Hello all,
Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I have been monitoring the forums for a while now and decided to take the leap. I just ordered the ACE 250 based on the feedback from you guys. Thanks! Anyone know of any decent areas to try in Pennsylvania? I am near Pittsburgh in an area called Cranberry Township. The good thing is that there are signs everywhere that shows George Washingtons trail.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby Or addiction. Ace 250 is light years ahead of most Bounty Hunters...........LOL

I am not to familiar with where to hunt around Pennsylvania, but the dirt has been there long before we were and something has to have been lost or hidden almost anywhere. Check old newspaper articles and talk to seniors ( old people) I'm old but don't live there. :D

OP
OP
S

sbrowncpr

Thanks Sandman. I did actually consider buying the Bounty Hunter 202, only because I did not know any better. You can actually learn a lot by reading these posts and such. Now, if only it would stop raining....

X

xto

Hey guys, I got a few questions about the 250.

I picked one up last week and have been having fun with it but there are a few things that I don't like about it....keeping in mind I am extremely new to MD.

The 250 will sometimes go off with a silver tone, then I dig down and the tone is gone. Pile and hole are empty.

The unit seem unbalanced ( I am 6'2" ) and pulls on me. Is there a way to weight the back or adjust the balance?

Finally, I am having a hard time learning the tone codes...Does anyone want to share their hard earned experience?

Thanks for letting me ask what are probably lame questions.

(still looking for my first silver)
xto
Oregon

Will_detect4food

May 2, 2006
Gold Coast
everyone swings at different distances, but the further away from your feet, the more work it is ' Also depending on your soil, you may be hitting "hot rocks" rocks with high mineral content ,,,,
Go to the back yard, get some change 'clad' and some silver and some gold ( like a ring) also common trash, place it around your yard a couple feet apart, run detector over and listen for sounds, also practice your pinpoint this way

good luck
bet you find something soon!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Do you have the rod extended as far as it will go? Sounds like one of 4 things, either it wasn't ground balanced, but you said you checked that.... or you may have been getting a signal off your shoe or boot, or a completely rusted out piece of iron, or even had your sensitivity set way up high and the minerals set it off. was the tone you heard repeatable from different angles?

Weight balance is a problem for some people. I don't think a detector has been made yet that is perfect for every different body type.

If the control housing is removable, some people prefer the hip mount setup, takes some strain off your arm.

Some people try slings to help out the balance. Some just get used to it. Although 2 to 4 pounds doesn't sound like much, it can take a toll quick after swinging for awhile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread