Coming back after 20 years!!?????

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
this question is gonna get ya about 100 different answers since everyone has their favorite brand and model. there are alot of different factors to consider, cost, weight, ease of use, auto ground balance....and the list goes on. if you have a local dealer near by i'd suggest checkin out the different models and also seein what feels right then search around for a good deal. after xmas alot of used detectors will most likely be hittin ebay or craigslist when people get new machines or wait a few more months when people get a new detector and then give up on the hobby.

OP
OP
H

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I know. I have been reading some of the comments. I should have done that first!!!!!!!!!!

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
What part of the country?
South, northeast, midwest, desert...

What kind of detecting?
Coinshooting, new coins/old coins, jewelry, water/land, totlots, woods, relics...

Is detector weight an issue?

Gotta give us something to start with...

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
if ya don't have a dealer close by maybe see if there is a local detecting club you could join and maybe see some different models firsthand and get some opinions from users. my personal preference is garrett and they have decent entry models for 200 bucks or more bells and whistle models that go up to 1000 bucks. i swing a GTI 1500 and love the "size imaging" feature which save me hours of not digging up non coin sized targets. garrett also has the new AT pro if your thinking of gettin wet(waterproof up to 10') good luck on whatever ya choose :icon_thumleft:

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
Checkout the White's V3i. It has been getting great reviews! I have family and a few friends that sprung for them and love them! The cordless headphones are a definate bonus!

GL and HH'

Mike

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Simple answer to that question,,, simple detector with life warr.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no brainer,,,,,, TESORO!!!!!,,, BUT ,if you like staring at screens and trying to decipher a bunch of numbers ,, and listening to a foray of annoying sounds,,,(like a drunk playing a flute) ,,, then there is a lot of BIG waste of money (and time) detectors out there!!!!

thats my thoughts.

arthur

OP
OP
H

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Thanks everyone. I will take my time and ask around a little for what is working well in my neck of the woods.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is very important.

A. What is you budget? :dontknow:

B. What do you like/want to recover? :dontknow:

C. Are you in good shape?, ok shape? Shoulder problems? :dontknow:

I always tell my clients, you can't go wrong with a Minelab Explorer. Just look at most of the best finds on t-net. They are made with the Minelab Explorer. (s) Safari, Etrac etc... All basically explorers.

But for an adult or child that can't swing a bigger detector all day, I always recommend one of the Tesoro detectors. Light weight and a Lifetime Warranty. NO ONE offers that.

I would be glad to help you if you need my assistance.

Give me a call
828-242-5407

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
Things have changed drastically since a "long time ago" so you are basically a newbie. Stay away from complicated, expensive machines, and the overwhelming "ad hype." Read all you can and peruse all the detecting forums ( and there are many ) and see what others use and what kind of luck and success they have. Don't fall for all the fairy tales and jump in over your head. Get something easy to learn, easy to use, not expensive, and that by all reports performs well at finding what you think you'll be looking for. Don't buy someone else's "best" detector. The best detector is the one that is best for you - not someone else. Good luck.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread