Which Detector Should I Get

samuel_schumaker

Jan 15, 2008
Holton, Ks
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro w/ Sunray, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Okay, I have done a lot of research and am gonna keep doing research for another couple months while the grounds froze up. Heres the deal. I bought a bounty hunter land ranger a few years ago, played with it some and kind of got the basic operation of it down. Anyway, I sold it a few months ago because i didnt have time to use it and really needed the money at the time. Now im wanting to do some md'ing this spring, have tons of old farmstead and old schools that i have access too. I am wanting to buy a little simpler detector to use for this season. Just so i can learn a few more basics before jumping into all the bells and whistles. The BH actually had a lot of features compared to a simple to use detector. Then i wanna jump to a Minelab xt 705 or soverign or something along those lines. Here are two detectors i have the option of buying here locally and i dont think i need to be in a big hurry for them, as they are not listed for sale anywhere they are just back up detectors for other people and they offered to sell them too me. One is an Ace 250 . Excellent shape with headphones for 160 shipped to my door. I know this is one of the best beginner detectors, The other is a Whites m6. I dont know a lot about this detector. But its only 300 dollars which seems like a good deal. Its in excellent shape also. My question is, do you think the m6 is pretty simple to use and is it a good detector. I dont mind spending the extra if its worth it otherwise i might just go with the simple to use ace to get me by for a season. What do you all think? THanks

Upvote 0

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
M6 is light, not too fancy, simple controls, easy to learn and use, but very effective and it goes deep. VDI and broad audio frequency response is icing on the cake. You will be a lot happier with the M6 for sure.

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
the m6 is the better deal,the vdi will give better id. There are more acessory coil sizes available(they also work on the mxt & dfx )

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace is rather poor in my area, doesn't have the build quality of say the similar price Fisher F2. Wobbly shaft thats a pain with bigger coils. Doesn't pinpoint well. Slower recovery speed.

The M6 on the other hand doesn't have much against it except that in time for heavily iron infested sites you may want to change the coil and its never going to be as good on wet salt beaches as a DFX or Minelab Sovereign that can run more than one frequency which solves the positive salt problem.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
At 300.00 the M6 is a very good deal and much more detector for the $$. The only thing I don't like about it is the multiple tones ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread