Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been back into detecting for about six months, so I'm no expert. I have an older friend who doesn't own a computer (so he can;t check forums), who is interested in getting into metal detecting.

I know him pretty well and we talked about what he really wanted to do with it.

He wants to go mainly to parks and schoolyards. Becuase of his age, he really doesn't need to be chasing deep targets. 6" or less is plenty (which is where most targets are anyway).

A lighter weight machine would be good also.

Because his hearing isn't the greatest, I am thinking a TID machine would be best.

Also, to avoid a lot of unnecessary bending and stooping, I wanted to recommend a machine with some good discriminating capabilities.

His budget is around $550 and he doesn't want to buy used (says he doesn't want to buy some else's mistake). :D

I was thinking of suggesting he get the Ace 350 or maybe the Minelab XTerra 505.

I really detect beaches more than parks, so if anyone can chime in here with their thoughts I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to steer him in the wrong direction.

Also, we're in Florida and our ground mineralization is very low.

Upvote 0

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Teknetics line has the Gamma and Omega.....very light weight and has good reports.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
there are alot of good mid range detectors on the market now so get ready for alot of different suggestions, but ya can't go wrong with the ace 350 or even the ace 250. both are light and easy to use and with the spare cash get a propointer

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
being on the beach GB might help a lot...

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your input everyone. I'm going to print this out and show it him.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Tesoro Deleon will fit the requirements perfectly, and has a lifetime warranty.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
for the all the features it has, versus cost, ace 250 is a real good machine

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
being in sunny central florida ya might consider the AT pro if ya plan on doing some beach hunting, and from what i hear they are also a great land detector. 500 bucks with shipping and i hear they keep up with the big machines.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
A bit more learning curve than the ace 250, but Fisher F5 is a great beach(manual, but easy ground balance) and dry land machine.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
One dealer (I think they're on TNet) bought out the complete supply of the Bounty Hunter Platinum detectors. They are closing them out for $299. It is the same detector as the Teknetics Gamma 6000 ($499). Uses 1 9 volt, has visual & tone ID, weighs only 2.2 lbs, accurate discrimination & 6" or more in your good soil would be no problem. Has a 5 year warranty. The stock coil is concentric, which will keep it quiet on steel bottlecaps. Best wishes, George (MN)

Stevemit

May 5, 2013
Copperopolis, California
Detector(s) used
I have a Teknetics Gamma 6000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just received a Teknetics Gamma 6000 for a late birthday present, and was hoping to get some tips on its use. I haven't used a MD in over 20 years, and then I wasn't experienced. I want to use my MD for prospecting, and nugget hunting. I was hoping to get some advice before going out with my Teknetics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread