fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it true they really get more depth in the salt water environments? I am looking into one because there is a place here that is real salty and I know there is more to be found that is deeper than my Sovereign XS2 can see. SO should I believe the hype on these? If so what are some good PI detectors that will work in extreme salt conditions?

Upvote 0

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sea Hunter MK2, Infinium, Whites dual field PI,Tesoro sand Shark, Whites TDI. The CScope CS4PI (not waterproof)is pretty good but I am not sure how it stacks up against the SOV XS, XS2, Excal or similar,it did give my infinium a run for its money at the beach. Remember that the PIs have very limited discrimination, so you will be digging lots of holes. I think you would be splitting hairs picking the difference in depth capability between these machines at the beach
Just my opinion. Others may have different ideas.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Adrian SS said:
Sea Hunter MK2, Infinium, Whites dual field PI,Tesoro sand Shark, Whites TDI. The CScope CS4PI (not waterproof)is pretty good but I am not sure how it stacks up against the SOV XS, XS2, Excal or similar,it did give my infinium a run for its money at the beach. Remember that the PIs have very limited discrimination, so you will be digging lots of holes. I think you would be splitting hairs picking the difference in depth capability between these machines at the beach
Just my opinion. Others may have different ideas.
I have the different ideas and that PI detectors are deeper than VLF detectors and that is not hype that is fact...................Every one crys about depth and i always say .................If you want depth put your VLF detectors away and get your self a PI detector............ Then you will get all the depth you want..................... You want more depth get your self a 2 box detector..............

Attachments

• AG00347_.gif
    AG00347_.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 911
  • AG00347_.gif
    AG00347_.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,401

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are you thinking about that salt water hotel complex on the flats? I don't know how a pi would react there. I use a mk2 and occassionally I dig sparkler wire left overs at 18 inches depth. that is not a exageration or lie. I also did just about every thing although I am starting(after 3 years) to finally hear the double sound for iron/steel at 12 inches and less.

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
davest said:
are you thinking about that salt water hotel complex on the flats? I don't know how a pi would react there. I use a mk2 and occassionally I dig sparkler wire left overs at 18 inches depth. that is not a exageration or lie. I also did just about every thing although I am starting(after 3 years) to finally hear the double sound for iron/steel at 12 inches and less.
I think you and I are on the same page. I believe you about digging a sprinkler head that deep. Ive dug beer cans that deep with my old safari. As for digging lots of holes. Theres not much I dont dig out there. pretty much everything comes up. I have been wondering how well a PI would do out there.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As long as you comfortable digging most, if not all, targets at the beach, then the PI is an excellent choice.

Yes, they get the best depth out there of any beach detector, though some others can be modified, like the Excal with a WOT coil that will come pretty close.

When I hunt the beach, I use PI detectors almost exclusively. While I am not an expert detectorist (too new), I have observed a few things.

First, the weight of PI machines can be pretty significant, so be prepared to chest or belt mount the control box if you can.

Second, be aware that larger coils, 10" and more, tend to be cumbersome (like swinging a garbage can lid) and pinpointing is a major pain in the backside. Yes, they will give you more depth on larger targets, but those larger targets tend to be junk. Just my experience.

I have used the Sea Hunter, which is pretty good. I have not used the Infinium, but I am not impressed by the high-low and low-high tones it offers based on the conductivity of the target. When pressed, users will have to admit either tone could be a gold ring, so you are right back where you started: having to dig every target regardless of tone.

I used the Sand Shark, currently out of production, which is very good but very heavy.

The Dual Field is the right weight, but I found that 12" coil to be ridiculously unweildy. Again, this is just my opinion.

Believe it or not, I think the best PI detector available right now is the Detectorpro Headhunter PI. It retails for about $700, weighs 3.5 lbs and all of the electronics is housed in the headphones. You can swing that thing for long periods and not get tired.

It is waterproof to 6 feet, so you can drop it in the water or get slapped by a wave and be ok (just don't go snorkeling or diving with it).

It is reputed to be better than most PI's on small gold (haven't found any yet myself, for which I don't blame the detector).

With an 8" coil (11" is also available but I don't recommend) pinpointing is easy and accurate.

It is DEEEP! So get yourself a good sand scoop!

The only potential drawback, depending on your view, is that it will suck the two 9 volt batteries it runs off of dry after about 8-10 hours. And only use Energizers. They last longer than any other for some reason. No recharables!

I only bring up Detectorpro as it is often overlooked. Good luck with your final choice.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick with a twin or multifrequency if your not prepared to buy a good pulse detector. Good unfortunately means expensive.

I have several different models Deepstar, GS5, Aquastar, Beachscan, Whites D.F. , the worse, performance and I.D. wise is the D.F. I keep one for people to try.

You get what you pay for though the Headhunter does offer a lot at a fair price. Trouble is what coil size do you pick ? Large for depth or small for sensitivity to thin gold chains ?

I don't like any of the Garretts. Slow/iffy/noisy discrimination system of the Infinium or lack of performance of the Sea Hunter. Good build quality and coil change ability is a plus.
Tesoro just lacks depth.
C-Scope excellent for the price (cheapest of the lot) but no waterproof version unless you get the old 7UMD which now would be very old.
Whites just can't quite do pulse. In the past you would have to buy then send it off to be modified. They finally managed to fit both a pulse delay and a gain control with the DF but still no SAT adjustment. I don't like the DF or TDI coil design. Good idea in theory to combine small and large coils in one to cover both depth and sensitivity needs but I can hardly tell what I'm going to dig. With standard mono coil designs and a SAT control I can adjust the target respose to enable a lot of junk to be ignored.

Thing to do to to use your Minelab in all metal for several hours and see how you get on with little discrimination.

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks a lot guys. I have traded my Sovereign XS-2 Pro for a Detector pro Head hunter PI. Diggin is ok with me. At this place 99% of everything is dug anyway. mainly looking for gold rings and coins that are out there. Just have to get down a little deeper to get them. I am getting the 11" coil on the HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread