What kind of metal detector is good to find coins????

W

W4UVV

My Whites Spectrum XLT is deadly finding coins. Three weeks ago I searched a local elementary school playground on a Saturday. I found $13.89 in coins. I had to stop because my detector's battery finally died. The next week I returned and found an additional $10+ in coins a the same location. But this is a rare unusual situation and I am using my own created coin program. Last week I found a 1942 Mercury dime 4 inches down at a former city golf course. Kellyco in Orlando, Florida, has good prices and selections of metal detectors.

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio
I THIRD that motion! XLT's are my favorate ive had mine for almost 5 yrs now, its great for lots o things too i found quite a few coins, relics, jewlry, ect anywayz if u have already bought this metal dec or anoter one, too bad, but i am recommending this one HH CoinS

W

W4UVV

I just love it when "Mr. Q" VDI numbers display. If it indicates a quarter, 95% of the time it is a quarter. Rarely is it a piece of trash that has the same VDI. One thing that has surprised me is the VDI readings will be significantly different in very wet versus dry soil conditions. In my area of central Va. we have had above normal rainfall this summer and fall. Pennies that normally would be in the low 70s read in the low 60s; dimes also read in the mid-70s; quarters tended to read in the mid and higher 80s; nickels from 18 to 30 depending on the metal content, depth and wet soil conditions. Unfortunately a large amount of pull tab trash, pieces of wire, foil, etc. may also indicate a possible nickel reading. So now I have two VDI reference scales for coins. One for "normal" dry soil conditions and one for wet soil conditions.

The soil in this area is very acidic and metallic objects excluding gold, silver, bronze, and aluminum pull tabs, screwtops and suffer badly. That's why many civil war relics often are not in good condition after being underground for 140 years.

Attached is a fired partially sheared/impacted Union bullet I found with my XLT 2 weeks ago along with a Union 3 ring bullet and a cleaner bullet near Petersburg. What was interesting is the bulllets had oxidized almost totally white because they were in red clay instead of the typical grey hard pan clay common to the area. Bullets found in those areas tend to oxidize grey.

When the bullet fragment impacted the ground some of the lead content formed what looks like a skull head. It is hard to discern details in the jpg but they are quite noticeable when viewed by eye.

F

fahrenheit

On the Tesoro Conquistador or the Cibola for example. What is the setting for Coins and jewelry on school ground and park?

I guess it depends on the ground. I live in seatle.

Would you recommend setting the Sensitivity Level on 8? and the Discriminative Level on Iron?? to find coins and jewelry?

And what about the Threshold, medium? what does it mean? ::)

fahrenheit.

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
I have to chime in on the side of the XLT. Ive only had mine a short time and although no major finds yet, I have found a ton of clad. dave.

resurector

Mar 11, 2005
Hills near Eureka,Ca
FLIP--
? ?It's really a topic that's hotly debated.Personnally, I wont discredit any one brand because(I'm sure others will agree with me) its not the machine, but the person behind it!! That said, I? hunt mostly very trashy sites, so a machine with very good discrimination is vital.Old homesites,one-room schools,picnic sites,etc.My Tesoro Bandito MMII works awesome at places like these.Not the deepest seeking machine,but the discrim. is VERY dependable,its extremely sensitive to small gold items,accurate pinpointing,rugged,light.And its less than half the price of the Whites.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a beginner, I would reccomend my Garrett ACE250. It's a great entry level machine, and it's lethal on coins with a sweet double belltone chime when you hit a coin. It's got a lot of features of the more expensive machines, like target ID, depth indicator, and pinpointing, and it's so lightweight I can swing it for hours on end without it getting heavy. It has tripled my coin take since I upgraded from a Bouny Hunter Pioneer 101, and for $200.00, packs a lot of bang for the buck. You can usually get a bunch of freebies with it, like a carry bag, treasure pouch, books and headphones, too. Good luck!!!

S

SASQUASH

I have a XLT E- that works great but if you are just looking for coins & dont want to spend the big bucks then I would go with a used Wights Coin Master. SASQUASH<><

sandnsea49

Jan 16, 2005
Temperance, MI summer-Sarasota, FL winter
Detector(s) used
Etrac, XP Deus, Excalibur 1000, Whites Dual Field PI, Makro Multi Kruzer
About XLT's. I have a Minelab Explorer. My XLT collects dust in the garage. I go to a park that has been hunted my everyone who has ever owned a detector since they were invented. I see guys come in with their Whites, stay an hour, dig nothing and go home empty handed. I meanwhile continue to dig old silver like seated or liberty dimes. It is great for clad but around iron forget it. This old park used to be an amusement park and has lots of iron in it.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a fisher CZ5 that I am very pleased with ,great for coins and relics .;D Good depth also.

PhilMont

Mar 31, 2005
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XL PRO, White's Coinmaster 5000/D, 6000/D, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Tesoro "Sand Shark"
I own both a White's XL Pro and a Garrett Ace 250. If you are just starting out and with little capital you can own a great little detector in the Ace 250. It can find the coins with the best of them. Once you get the hang of MDing, you may want to move up. From my personal experiences the XL Pro is a better all around detector.
That is my own opinion.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Haven't seen a bad detector mentioned. My vote for the best coin detector would be the Explorers. I? no longer own my Explorer 11(I had some issues with it) however, all those awesome photos of finds in the Explorer forums are not fake.
For new technology better check out George Paynes new CoinTrax chip 11 in the Treasure Barons
http://www.jb-ms.com/Baron/

George

K

KansasRhett

The gti 1500 is a great machine, also. I can't say enough good things about mine. The 250 bangs like mad on coins, also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions