Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't tried this particular detector but it looks just like those imported from China. These are pretty good for a price of $30 to about $50 max. They get about 4 inches tops on a coin sized target.

I used one in a high trash area and found coins and toys my high powered machines couldn't detect due to too much trash.

Low powered machines with smaller coils have a purpose.

I've used some of the better Chinese made machines and some of them are excellent. I have one I paid $60 for off ebay and I tested it at 10 inches on a buried silver quarter. Many American made machines costing $500 can't do this.

Contrary to what we all think, detector technology really isn't rocket science. Ever notice that some of the biggest names in this field are really very small enterprises?

In the past China hasn't taken hobby detecting very seriously. However, we're now seeing many Chinese machines on the market. I think this may well have played a part in Fisher's decision to get out.

Does China make crap? YES! But they do this because this is what some greedy American importers want. Can China make an awesome machine? YOU BET! And they are doing it now. They've copied the best U.S. machines and they're moving up from there.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally I try to stay as far away as I can from harbor freight [and walmarts for that matter] lest I get tempted to get up on some "good deals".
Last item I bought from harbor freight was a 6' right angle grinder, which lasted all of 2 hours on a job.
For $19.95, wans't even worth enquiring about warranty info. Same with one of those nice looking 18v cordless drills.
Smelled that burnt electronic smell the first minute I used it, and it died shorty thereafter doing nothing more strenuous than unscrewing some screws in plywood.
So I wouldn't even consider buying any power tools from them jokers anymore, maybe some work gloves or a throw away hammer.
My guess is that detector might actually be worse than nothing, and I'd be hard pressed to even accept it as a gift.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread