Greenie
Apr 25, 2011

charlieg

Apr 8, 2011
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Smudge said:
Boy Katie, are you going to get a lot opinions on that question! :D

If you want a display screen, the Ace 250 would be the way to go. Personally, I don't care for screens too much because they lie to you too much.

If I were you and hunting on a very limited budget, I'd probably buy a Tesoro Silver UMax. They're inexpensive and there's a lot of different coils you can use with it. Very easy to learn, very light weight, and its backed by a lifetime warranty.

The only other items you need are a pouch of some kind (a nail apron from Home Depot will do nicely) and a small digger for retrieving targets.

If you have money left over, you ought to seriously consider getting a pinpointer. Garrett makes a great one for under $130, which sounds like a lot, but its one of those accessories that make this hobby a lot more enjoyable.

Good luck to you!

Yeah..what he said! Tesoro is a well priced, beep and dig metal detector, that gets results. You'll have fun with it....and that's the most important part!

diggingnewengland

Apr 10, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Minelab Sovereign GT
It depends on how much you are looking to spend. I suggest not going to crazy the Garrett 250 is a good choice or if you want to go a little more the Fisher F4 works pretty well for beginners. Both are easy to learn with and work pretty well. Good Luck Hunting :icon_thumleft:

Diver9543

Jul 17, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's Coinmaster Classic II
I am new to the hobby. I researched on-line, read reviews and joined forums. The best advice I received and recommend is to find a local dealer and visit the store. My local dealer (Allen) listened to what I was wanting and then demonstrated various models and allowed me to decide. He also gave me information on local clubs where I could meet other MD enthusiast so I can have a local resource for laws and hunt areas. I hope that you can find a local dealer in your area that has been as helpful as Wayne's here in OKC http://waynesdetectors.com/ .

jeepcj5

Jan 12, 2011
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
Etrac, xterra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check out the minelab eterra series, GREAT beginner detectors, i started with the 505... you can change coils for different situations, it's like having several detectors in one.... at any rate, get out dont let it sit in the closet and have fun, this is what its all about... best of luck and HH

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
What most people have to do is find a metal detector that matches their brain.

Some people want simple detectors with few controls, others like to be able to use more adjustments.

Some like non-motion pinpoint, others pinpoint in motion, no problem.

Some want deepest detector. Some don't want to dig that deep & may want a detector that separates closely spaced metal objects.

Some like to sweep fast, others don't mind going slow. Some detectors favor a fast or slow sweep speed (recovery rate), other detectors fast or slow is OK.

Some like a detector that has visual &/or tone ID, others want a beep & dig.

Some want ground tracking on/off, ground grab or manual ground balance to adjust detector to ground. Others think a preset ground balance is OK.

Some detectors sell used for different % of new price, if you don't like what you bought. Mistakes could be unavoidable sometimes, as so many have owned 10 to 100 different detectors & like to test all. Best wishes, George (MN)

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
KM, you made a good hot topic. I insist that for beginners, a good metal detecting mentor is infinitely more valuable than any tector that you decide to buy. If you don't have a good experienced mentor at your side for the first few days, you will be sorely wishing you did. Secondly, go cheap on your first machine. Cheap does not mean bad in metal detecting. You can upgrade if you get the bug.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
KM,
Until recently (beginning of the year) I had 9 machines in my arsenal. I gave most (traded) to my brother. I owned both the Ace 250 and F4. I (personally) thought the F4 was a dynamite dime finder... but not much else. The Ace 250 is a beginner's "no brainer". An earlier post said the Ace 250 was a good machine if not in a trashy area. ALL machines are good if not in a trashy area. Get a good solid REPEATABLE signal on the 250 and you have a diggable target. I am oversimplifying here, to be sure, but the main objective is to LISTEN to what the machine is telling you. Detectors are incapable of lying. You just have to figure out what it is telling you. That only comes with time... whichever machine you choose. GL TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread