84 KB · Views: 422

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
angler 07 said:
Sorry, I have to go semi off topic. I haven't noticed grubs in association with coins, but at one spot where I detect 9 times out of 10, if I dig up aluminum (and theres alot of it) I also dig up a grease ant nest. Some people call them sugar ants. Theyre the tiny reddish brown ants that will foil a picnic or cover your kitchen counter if you spill the pnacake syrup. I don't know what it is, but they love aluminum.

I worked on a golf course for over 10 years and every time we dug up an irrigation head there were Brazilian Red Fire Ants nesting close to the solenoid. I always thought they were attracted to the electricity for some reason.

As far as grubs go, grubs are just the larval stage of the many species of winged beetles - Green June Beetle (Junebug), Japanese Beetle, Chaffer Beetle, ect... The grub moves up and down in the soil profile according to the weather. If you dig in warm weather, they will be close to the surface. If you dig in the winter they will be further down to stay warm. They will eat roots and screw up your lawn. They are also like Filet Mignon for moles so if you have a lot of moles in your yard, chances are you have a lot of grubs as well. We sprayed Sevin one summer and I swear there was one popping up out of the ground every two or three inches apart. You could always tell when they got bad because skunks and crows would be tearing up the turf to get at them.

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We put the Grub-X stuff down and wet the lawn and wow- huge grubs everywhere. Then birds noticed and were all over after the grubs, I had to wonder whatever makes the grubs go to the surface and die couldn't be good for the birds.

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
lookindown said:
I often dig up small grub worms in the same hole with coins. Is it just coincidence? Does anyone else notice this? Maybe if i dug random holes I would still dig up grubs now and then. I live in Florida.

I noticed that also!! I thought it had to do with the season or all the spring rain we've had up here.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ants use electricial impluses and scents to communicate , metal items are as we all know "conductors" --so its not too odd that they would be attracted to them -- also copper is deadly to some insects -- so having a huge copper item (like say a sprinkler head) built into your "ant nest" might be the ants form of chemical warfare against differant types of other insects .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread