Im upgrading

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm upgrading

Can't decide between a teknetics t-2LTD or a safari, both cost about the same. I like that you get 2 coils with the t-2 but the rep and the quality on the minelab is hard to beat. I mostly hunt hard hit sites in s.e. Va. anyone in the area that knows which detector for these ground conditions? my last choice I made on my own and since I found this forum I regreted. This time i'll ask I've read some very good posts from some really exp. members. BTW i've been in contact with Mike, my next purchase will be through his shop. Thanks, Donj

Upvote 0

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm upgrading

Why are you upgrading? Looks like you have really good top end equipment now. If you are thinking that switching brands is magically going to increase your finds, it won't. It's just going to put you at the start of a long learning curve again. Unless you have money to burn, grab what you have, learn it well, and most importantly go out and have fun.

HH

OP
OP
donj

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Dirty Money said:
Why are you upgrading? Looks like you have really good top end equipment now. If you are thinking that switching brands is magically going to increase your finds, it won't. It's just going to put you at the start of a long learning curve again. Unless you have money to burn, grab what you have, learn it well, and most importantly go out and have fun.

HH
Good point, thanks for the reply, Donj

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The only good detector i see there is the White's must be a classic 3 I would put the blue max 15 maximum on that classic 3 and give it a go.

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

liftloop, that is your opinion with whites. whites is just like garrett, still useing some old technology. sure they find gold and also coins but whites has failed to get rid of their clumsy metal box design. In addition whites detectors are not really user friendly. their designes have rarely changed in the last 15 years, just like Garrett. Take the Scorpion gold stinger for example. some people like them. I know I had the gold stingers grand pappy The Ground Hog. Nothing has changed internally with it just the looks of it since 1980. At least Minelab is diligent on staying on the cutting edge of technology with looks and internal working of their detectors. I will only buy Minelab for these reasons. Plus they are super easy to learn how to use. Can be up and running it in 10 min.

OP
OP
donj

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks goldseeker4000 :icon_thumright:... I do use the coinmaster on the beach in the dry sand and the garretts are killers on coins at 5 inches or less hence the cause for my wanting to upgrade. Any constructive suggestions, Liftloop?
Thanks Donj.

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

donj, seriously look into the X-terra705. I have found coins consistantly at depths of 9- 10 inches deep. Tqwo were wheaties. go onto find's treasure forum and pull up the x-terra forum and look for thread titled "Sell the etrac and go with the 705" it might just help you make up your mind. also digger has a treasure trov of knowledge on the saffari etrac and 705. He has written a book on 705. Let me know what you decide to do. 705 has a beach mode which is vey sweet. The 705 is lighter than tesoros.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

White's MXT 8byb14 run circle around any garret.I own to garret not to happy with them I will never by a garret again.Tesoro I would like to put in my stall but I'm thinking of a P.I detector By far the 5900 is the deepest detector I own besides the garret treasure hound.Garret rites good book and has good gold pans but that's about it,maybe a pinpointed too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Minelab Safari has really good reviews and gets great depth. I recently sold my Whites 6000 XL PRO and I am seriously considering buying the Minelab Safari...... :icon_thumright:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

liftloop said:
The only good detector i see there is the White's must be a classic 3 I would put the blue max 15 maximum on that classic 3 and give it a go.
liftloop said:
White's MXT 8byb14 run circle around any garret.I own to garret not to happy with them I will never by a garret again.Tesoro I would like to put in my stall but I'm thinking of a P.I detector By far the 5900 is the deepest detector I own besides the garret treasure hound.Garret rites good book and has good gold pans but that's about it,maybe a pinpointed too.
He is trying to get a bite guys.......stay strong.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey Bro , Looks like ya have some good eqipment right now.
I would one of the following

1. Get the minelab safari .

OR

2. Sell the GTP1350 and the Coinmaster and with the xtra cash ya have
pluss the cash you all ready have , go all out and get the Minelab E-trac!

I Seems a lot of people that hunt in VA use the E-trac or a PI detector.

OP
OP
donj

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks again all, I'm considering all of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread