How much time do you spend on metal detecting related activities?

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
As I sit here reading the forums and adding my replies, it made me wonder how many hours I waste each week. I am curious to see how many others spend countless hours either detecting, doing research, reading and posting in the forums, etc.

Here is how I have broken it down:

Less than 5 Hours: You have a mild interest
5-10 hours: It is something you are interested in but you wish you had more time
10-20 hours: You are serious about metal detecting and try to make any time you can for it.
20-40 hours: You give metal detecting priority over other responsibilities
Greater than 40 hours: You make metal detecting a full time job and have dedicated your life to serving the metal detecting gods.

Upvote 0

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not call it taking Metal Detecting over my life or things I have to take care of around the house , But when you are Retired and Disabled you have the time to put into a hobby that most do not as they have to work to take care of there family's .

And I would not call it lucky to be disabled to where you can put the time into this. Having a life and working is better let me say .
But at least I do have this to take up my time and it give me something to do other than set around and think of what I could of had if I was working .
So after taking care of the jobs I have to do at the house I do Metal Detecting , and I am at this site reading to see if there is anything that comes up that I can help someone with .

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Daedalus said:
I would not call it taking Metal Detecting over my life or things I have to take care of around the house , But when you are Retired and Disabled you have the time to put into a hobby that most do not as they have to work to take care of there family's .

And I would not call it lucky to be disabled to where you can put the time into this. Having a life and working is better let me say .
But at least I do have this to take up my time and it give me something to do other than set around and think of what I could of had if I was working .
So after taking care of the jobs I have to do at the house I do Metal Detecting , and I am at this site reading to see if there is anything that comes up that I can help someone with .

:icon_thumleft: Thanks for your input!

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
If you click on your profile and go to statistics it will tell you how much time you have spent in days on Tnet.

I joined 4 years ago and have spent over 108 days on here :laughing7:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, since Aug 2007 when I first joined, I logged 24 days, 7 hours and 22....no wait...23 minutes on T_net alone.
Doesn't sound like much but...584 hours when you do the math. My least active months on here, not surprisingly, summer...June-November.
Then add 60+ hours just downloading maps....

Hrs driving scouting sites, actual detecting time...etc.

I live alone so a lot of my time at home isn't watching tv...I'm on the puter researching sites, reading town history books, etc.

Maybe I under-estimated my time at 20 hours a week....Got me thinking now. :icon_scratch:

Al

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there is no snow on the ground I spend about 4 hours a night at the parks around my house. I'm either at a park or beach on the weekends for 5-9 hours depending on my schedule.

When I'm home I'm either researching old maps or reading Tnet :icon_thumright:

I've decided to put in the time because I want the treasures!!!

My plan is to make treasure hunting my source of income when I'm able. I'm trying to build a small bank roll of a year salary in funds so I can take a year off and try to make a living on hunting for treasures.

Right now I MD and CRH. I get a box of halves a day and put in a few hours a night swinging a coil.
It's just a matter of time before a good score comes that will give me some funds to begin my plan.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I had my van at the coast beaches I spent close to 50 hours with detecting. I never kept logs of how much driving I did between places, does that count. Now however I am lucky if I get in 15 hours a wk.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5 - 10 Hours - Wife is OK with it, just be home before 8 pm

10 - 15 Hours - Wife is mad when you get home. Your get a major honey due list for the next day.

20 - 25 Hours - Wife is mad as hell. You better give her all your gold and silver you've found over the last year!

30 Hours + You better just plan on getting a divorce, don't even bother going home!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sonoma County Mike said:

10 - 15 Hours - Wife is mad when you get home. Your get a major honey due list for the next day.

20 - 25 Hours - Wife is mad as hell. You better give her all your gold and silver you've found over the last year!

30 Hours + You better just plan on getting a divorce, don't even bother going home!

Yes, and now you have lots of time to detect, hassle free!! :icon_pirat:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sonoma County Mike said:

then you found Your new wife at the beach,
She loves to metal detect, over 30 hours a week.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
extractor said:
Sonoma County Mike said:

then you found Your new wife at the beach,
She loves to metal detect, over 30 hours a week.

That's great! I'm envious! You'd think after my wive found a 1889 Morgan silver dollar the first time she wet out with me she'd be hooked? Not quite, as soon as she started finding pulltabs she was done!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread