Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what you mean Nana...I use Floater sized headphones myself.

I'll just write this and run to avoid being hit by tomatoes.

I don't see much difference between the lower cost headphones like those sold at Wal-Mart and the mega priced detector phones.

I use a set of Treasure Wise phones I paid $22 Postpaid off ebay (large cups). They're great and the tones are supreme. These phones have been through many bad abuses and they hold up perfectly.

What I'm saying is, go to Wally World or some such place and pick out some nice light headphones. Keep your sales receipt and if they don't do the job get 100% refund. You might want to try several pairs until you get that perfect feel.

Just my bad suggestion.

Bad-ger ;)

ofin

May 20, 2006
S.W. Ohio
Not quite sure how to answere this, never done this before..... I had a dislikes for my original headphones. Looked for an alternative, settled for wearing none. Which was not the best solution. But during the hot summer was better than wearing hearphones. Went to Radio Shack and bought a adaptor plug (1/4" male to 1/8" female) I plugged the adaptor into my detector then I can use a set of light weight ear phones - like what you use for a Walkman. The people at Radio Shack were very helpful and even suggested I bring in my detector to confirm it all worked. I did not need this help and everything worked just fine. I have only been using this setup this year but everything is working great for me. Regarding the ear phone, my findings have not been helped. But I'm still having fun. Hope this helps.

B

Beachkik

Hey Nana40,I'll tell you my story.I live on Miami Beach,so its HOT,I can't where over the ear ,phones.I wear Sony ear buds,they are Great,what I like most of all is you can hear the faintest signals and you can still hear the outside world.Why is that important?well in my years of detecting on Miami Beach I have had people try to sneak up on me to do gosh knows what,on many occasions.I was lucky,I heard them comming and I was prepaired,we have alot of "homeless " types here.Im just mentioning this to let you know another fact not to cover you ears too much.Have a great time detectin...see ya...Beachnik

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i was just thinking about how if someone invented a good in ear phone for detectorists they would sell a lot of them. those big bulky phones are too damn hot. you wind up sweating all over them, and they want to slide off your head! i hate em!!

P

PostFatal

around here we got a store called Big Lots. I get a set of lightweight phones for a buck, they even got buds for a buck. the sound is fine and the only complaint i got is the length of the cord (sometimes gets caught under my knee as I stand up) but even if I break em I'm out a buck. and they're right down the street. and if you think I am probably missing signals, well so far the places i've hunted are so full of beeps that I can afford to miss a few. inner city hunting is so full of trash you can't move without a hit and don't want to pass em up cause there's a lot of history here in the Detroit area.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'I use a set of Treasure Wise phones I paid $22 Postpaid off ebay (large cups). They're great and the tones are supreme. These phones have been through many bad abuses and they hold up perfectly."
the treause wise didnt work for my troy wrong ohms(?) sounded muffled and tinnie they work super for my chicks ace 250 tho..

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks!!

I tell ya how much I knew about this......nothing! I didn't know that one could use just regular earphones! Had no idea...thought that the only thing to use would be something made specifically for detectors! :D ::) Shows ya what I know! :D Well I did go and buy an adapter and the little earpieces today. The cord is rather short and they don't seem to be as loud as my other ones, but I haven't really tried them yet... Will go out tomorrow and see how they do! ;) And yes....it's hot and yes...I would like to be able to hear what else might be around me too! :) And there is a Big Lots in the next town that I might have to visit... :D Guess we'll see! :D Thanks so much for the info!

You're the best ya'll!

Nana ;)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nana40 said:
Hey thanks!!

I tell ya how much I knew about this......nothing! I didn't know that one could use just regular earphones! Had no idea...thought that the only thing to use would be something made specifically for detectors! :D ::) Shows ya what I know! :D Well I did go and buy an adapter and the little earpieces today. The cord is rather short and they don't seem to be as loud as my other ones, but I haven't really tried them yet... Will go out tomorrow and see how they do! ;) And yes....it's hot and yes...I would like to be able to hear what else might be around me too! :) And there is a Big Lots in the next town that I might have to visit... :D Guess we'll see! :D Thanks so much for the info!

You're the best ya'll!

Nana ;)

BIG LOTS is like a second home to me 8) I've seen tools there for $3.99 each and the same exact tool at Home Depot was $9.99.

Hope the phones work well for you Nana.

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...I tried them out for all of about five minutes today. They are way different sounding than my others. Not nearly as loud either. I didn't have a lot of time to spend checking them out, but really wasn't pleased with them. I don't know...maybe I'll try them out again sometime later. Luckly it wasn't that hot today as we got a bit of rain just before hunting. Thanks ya'll!

Nana ;)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Nana,

don't really enjoy using them. Only time
is when I'm in an area where trains, this,
or that, is giving me major hearing problems.

Got a small set from Radio Shack; you can
adjust vol on them; with adapt. was about
$20. They get the job done, when I use
them.

have a good un.............

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I've been told that phones with higher impedance work best for detectors- look at the packages before you buy, it generally lists it. I use Koss, and they work well for me. Seperate volume control on the phones is good too, for obvious reasons now- ;)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like the ratphones,(i think they 90 bucks,was a gift so..) i forgot thats what i use with my X5.all the other phones i owned were cheap or old.....then again never tried anything else either :-\

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana, Radio Shack $19.95. Fits behind the head. Been using mine for about a year and no problem. Monty

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
Nana, Radio Shack $19.95. Fits behind the head. Been using mine for about a year and no problem. Monty

I second that. I got a pair of RS headphones with individual volume control for this price. They're very comfortable; the only complaint I have is that the big volume knobs get turned too easily when you set the headphones on the ground.

Any ol' cheap pair of phones is better than none, but the full ear covering ones are my favorite. Keeps nearby dogs from going crazy... ;D

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Depending on the weather... If its cold outside I use my Bose headphones. The sound is, well, its Bose! LOL
During the hot muggy months I use a set of Sonys... They fit into my ear, and have a loop behind my ear, so they don't fall out when I bend over. The sound is good, not as good as the Bose, but hey, its Bose! :D
And like others said, make sure to check the ohms, and I think getting a set with its own volume control is extremely important also.

Good Luck!

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana

I know what you mean about the earphones being cumbersome or uncomfortable on those hot days. I get pretty decent sound out of my smaller headphones but if i choose to run my bigger full ear cup headphones on a hot day alot of times I'll just make sure i have the volume controls adjusted to an acceptable level and leave the phones hang around my neck. I can still hear them fine as well as what is going on around me and if the enviroment is too loud at a certain spot i can just put the phones over my ears until I'm through that part and then let them hang around my neck again. Seems fairly comfortable to me and you don't have the problem of getting them sweaty and sliding off your ears that way. Works well for me but then again i guess it's just what a persons personal preference is.

Another option with the walkman style earphones...if you happen to get a different pair you may notice on the back of the package that some cords are different lengths than others, if you happen to find a pair that works well for you and the cord is slightly too short there is a headphone extension cord that can be purchased for a few dollars at most wal marts, radio shacks and other such stores.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks for the replies ya'll!

I remembered seeing a set in the basement that my son had bought and tossed aside...he never used them...so I went and got 'em. ;D Turns out they were the Koss brand. Tried them out today and they were much better than the first set I tried a couple of days ago. Only problem being that they aren't quite long enough. Need to find an extension and that should do it. ;)

Thanks again!

Nana ;)

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana

I was in the wal mart super center awhile back in my area and saw that they still had the extension cable for earphones. If i recall correctly they were back in electronics with all the earphones. Can't remember the price for one of them though.

Hope it helps.

B

BIG61AL

I PLAN ON GETTING A CHEAP LIGHT WEIGHT PAIR OF HEAD PHONES THAT HAVE JUST THE SPEAKERS THAT SIT IN YOUR EAR. THAT WAY I CAN WEAR A HAT WITH A WIDE BRIM FOR SUN PROCTECTION. I CANT DO THAT NOW BECAUSE I AM USING BIG CLUNKY KOSS HEAD PHONES WITH DRIED UP FOAM PADDING THAT FLECKS OFF ONTO MY EAR AND I LOOK LIKE I STUCK MY HEAD IN A GARBAGE CAN.
AL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread