Made new digging tools

W

W4UVV

For those of us presently are out of stock of titanium, but want something comparable go to <www.predatortools.com>. They sell an excellant non-destructive heavy duty shovel designed especially for metal detecting digging. It additionally has a serrated edge for cutting roots. It is a very popular MD item with civil war relic hunters here in Virginia. A dealer told me about it. It is reasonably priced at $50 and I never go metal detecting anywhere without it. Unless the ground is extremely dry it can dig a pop out plug down 6-12 inches in a matter of seconds. If it is dry ground he will do a worthy job only at a slower rate.

For cutting roots a small pair of lopping shears come in handy. For deeper roots although bigger and heavier a square tipped steel prior bar such as that sold a Home Depot usually will cut through most roots except the really thick ones.

C

Charles,Oak Island

HHHHHHHHhaaaaaaaaayy I could use one of those serrated blade jobs to fight gators when I work on boats in gator holes........
Nice

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Thanks Zeke. I've been waiting for ya, seeing how you like to build your own tools, thought you may appreaciate these! Yea, the digger does look scarry!? It almost looks like something I could get arrested for having!! Anyway, its nice to have a supply of Titanium around the shop. I only have a limited amount thats left over from a job we did about a year ago. Found this stuff in the metal rack, so........ I got to thinking..... and here it is..?
HH? ? Zeke, keep us posted as your sand scoops evolve, they look great!

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stuff, Dennis! 8) Gotta get my hands on some Titanium and make some diggers. The serrated one is all too wicked! I would probably get 5 to 10 yrs for carrying that thing around in NY :D ;D

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Hey True, If you have a metal supply store near you, you may want to check with them and see if they have any in the scrap bin. They usually sell cut off pieces and such pretty cheap.
If I had to buy the Titanium pictured here new, it would coast around $150.
Anyway, This stuff is not all that bad to work with. You just have to remember to work slow with it. Drill at low speed and sanding takes some time as well. It TIG welds very nicely. Just cut some slivers to use as filler rod. A sheet metal shear is a must to cut it, as it would take forever to cut with a saw. If you dont have a shear, A metal shop will do it for you for a fee. Anyway, hope you have a chance to play with this stuff..? Let me know if anyone has any good ideas for other possible uses or tools... Thanks? ?HH

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
nah the nearsest shop that would carry anything like that is about 80 miles from me all i can get is mild steel. I wish I had a tig but all I got is a stic rod and a mig welder. That does look pretty wicked and I dont think that I would fly well with the local cops here lol. I do have a large supple of alumiun but I dont have a good way to weld it. I have tried welding with my mig but the co2 didnt do so well (I think I need argon, which is to expensive) I have also tried using a oxy propane torch but that didnt work so well either. I guess I could try casting one.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, Dennis 8)
I do weld/fab and deal with 4 to 5 suppliers in the area for where i work. If i get serious about building some, i can get the metal no prob.

What gauges are the sheet for the scoop? What thickness gauge, or plate size is the serrated blade? Is the Serrated digger handle solid, or sheet pieces?

Never did Titanium yet, but saw you mention that it Tigs like a cross between SS and Alum. You switching to AC for that or you running the same, like when tigging MS and SS?

The shear is no prob as we are an HVAC contractor shop where i work and once i get the metal i can turn it into a pretzel if i wanted from all the crap we got around there.

Nice work, Dennis, and by far the nicest diggers i have seen. Keep up the good work 8)

Cedarrat: You can MIG that Aluminum but you have to run either a pure Argon shield or a 80/20 mix of 80% Argon 20% OXY and use Alu wire spool. Dont try it on one of those 120V home depot miggy machines as they are way to cold.

You could also get a Spoolmate gun (we call em "Greaseguns") and use the same shield gas mix. These can be expensive though.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
yeah I just try to stay away from alunium my lincoln weldpack 3200 hd is the mid range home depot welder. i've run .35 solid and flux core through it with no problems except over heating in the summer. ( it doesnt like the triple digit Texas heat).

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Hey True, The sand scoop is 16 guage (.062) and the blade and handguard on the digger is 11 guage (.125). The handle is hollow, made of the 16 ga stuff. I bent the sides into a long u shape to a width that fit my hand, then welded a top and bottom on it.? The blade is 7.5 inches long and 2"wide, with a slight crease down the middle.? Also the blade is bevelled on the bottom? about .5" wide at about 10deg. The handle is 4.5" long and .75" thick.? 1.5" wide at the butt end and 1" at the tang.? I think now that it would have looked even more bad-ass if I had made the handle a coffin shape.
The other digger in the picture is just a piece of 16 ga 2" wide 11" long sharpened at the end and creased about 40 deg. and a rubber handle slipped on.
I know I may have givin you way more detail than you need, but I think you will really dig working with this stuff (pun intended).
I TIG weld Titanium using the same settings as ss or mild steel DC (-) , It actually welds about like SS only different, weld some and youll know what I mean.? HH? ?Dennis 8)

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the details Dennis, they are all greatly appreciated 8)

I will see if i can make a few over the winter, as detecting will cease here soon due to ground freezing. The serrated dagger is out, as i really would get into law trouble if found carrying that around here.

The other digger looks harmless enough and would be ideal for this area.

I'm curious to see if i can get the metal in 3/8" round bar as there is also another type of digger that i'm interested in making

The coffin handle would be really sinister on that blade! That would look really cool 8)

Thanks again, Dennis. When i get some made i will post pics of them.

Cedarratt: I am not familar with that machine. I have a home depot 120V miggy machine i use at home and had tried to do Alum with and it was just too cold. Thats what i meant before, as i was speaking from previous failed attempts.

If yours is over 120V you can weld that aluminum.

My lincoln does the same thing and overheats in the summer :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions