Detectors

gwakeley

Apr 4, 2011
Hi. Im very interested in starting to metal detect. Everytime i see a post i wonder how it felt to have dug that coin or relic. Ive been watching my local craigslist to see if any detectors would go up for sale. This week there are two.

The First one is a Garrett Freedom 3 CDC for $100, the second is a Pioneer 202 bounty hunter for $100 also.

I was wondering if anyone had any information, experiences with either machines, and your recommendations on which to buy.

Thanks alot,
JErry

Upvote 0

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gwakeley , if it was me and you did not have a lot of money to put into one right now I would save a little while and get a better one.
Look at the Tesoro and Garrett brand detectors and you get a lot for your money .
The ones you are looking at are detectors but not one I would recommend , but that is just my opinion .

Read up on all the detectors , everything you can find so you will know what is the best for you .

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Daedalus is correct....

I would certainly think about saving a few more bucks and buying yourself a better detector. The difference between 100.00 and 200.00 is like night and day. You can buy a Fisher F2 for just over 200.00 beans and you can pick up the 3-coil 'Special' from KellyCo and Others for under 300.00 including Tax and Shipping! The 3-Coil F2 Special is a VERY versatile setup and you WILL find a LOT of things in Many areas.

I personally would suggest the Garrett AT PRO, but it's price tag is somewhat higher at around 500.00 bucks. IT IS however, an incredible buy for an 'All-Terrain', 'All-Weather' (even submersible) Detector.

Cheers,

WNYDigger

Greenie
Apr 25, 2011
I am new to this hobby looking to buy my first unit and been researching this subject since last year. I believe, you get what you pay for its all a crap shoot I’m buying the Garrett AT Pro I’ve seen it work and seems better than the 250 or 350. I want something that will last, be reliable for at least a couple of years. :hello:

gwakeley said:
Hi. Im very interested in starting to metal detect. Everytime i see a post i wonder how it felt to have dug that coin or relic. Ive been watching my local craigslist to see if any detectors would go up for sale. This week there are two.

The First one is a Garrett Freedom 3 CDC for $100, the second is a Pioneer 202 bounty hunter for $100 also.

I was wondering if anyone had any information, experiences with either machines, and your recommendations on which to buy.

Thanks alot,
JErry

diggingnewengland

Apr 10, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Minelab Sovereign GT
Save for a little while and get a new one that will come with a warranty. My suggestion for your first detector is a Garrett 250 or a Fisher F2 or F4. They all works well and are pretty easy to get started with. And they all work pretty good. Good Luck Hunting :icon_thumleft:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I agree...save up a little more. The Ace 250 is a great little machine for $212. I've got one, and like it very much.

I hear very good things about the Tesoro and the F2.

When you are ready to buy, call Mike at Woodland!!!! He is the best!!!!!!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you just want to get started, I agree with the others to save just a bit more money.

If you don't need a screen, I'd get the Tesoro Compadre, about $170 brand new. It is a fantastic detector by any comparison.

If you do want a screen, you can get a Garrett Ace 250 of Fisher F4 for a couple hundred bucks, and they're both good screen ("TID") machines. If you do get them, pay another $75 and get the small sniper coil as well. You'll really want that on your detector in trashy areas like parks and schoolyards. Trust me on that one.

The Compadre already comes with the 5.75" hardwired to the unit. Perfect size for that machine.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not listen to any of them!!!! Get the Garrett freedom CDC coin commander 3. It will blow the Ace 250 completely away too. It has 2 discriminators like the fisher 1266 and tesoro tejon and it has a metal housing and made like a tank, unlike the newer styled garretts with the plastic housing. It gets plenty of depth too. Do not believe me? Well take a look for yourself and you tell me. All but about 15 of these coins was found with the Freedom 3 CDC coin commander and these are just the silver ones too and not the war nickles or pennies and other clad coins. Not too bad for an older unit huh? Tim

Attachments

• fs 003.JPG
    fs 003.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 237

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread