Any advise?

999digger

Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
I recently set up a test garden for my GTP 1350. I burried a wheat penny at 6 inches and was surprised when I went over it. My detector did not a make a sound. Shouldn't the detector be able to sniff that out of the ground in a heartbeat? It did not make a sound for a silver quarter at 7 inches either. Is there something I am missing here. I want to get more depth. Does anybody have and advise. Should I look into a different brand? Which detector? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes a freshly buried coin will not register a new target until it gets the halo from the ground around it and settle up with moisture and all. I would suggest turning up the sensitivity also and see if that helps, good luck, Tim

OP
OP
999digger

999digger

Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
bigtim1973 said:
Sometimes a freshly buried coin will not register a new target until it gets the halo from the ground around it and settle up with moisture and all. I would suggest turning up the sensitivity also and see if that helps, good luck, Tim
Thanks for the advise. I already had the sensitivity on high though. What do you mean by halo? Thanks

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground absorbs metals from the coin slowly over time. Like when you dig up a rusty nail and notice the soil around the nail is a rusty color. That is called a halo which is the soil in contact with the target and when moisture is present it kind of supercharges the halo and that is why you can find deeper targets after it rains and the conditions are good. hope this helps, Tim

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, Garrett's aren't known for being depth demons usually especially on freshly buried coins. Since you already had sens turned up, there isn't much you can do except use a larger coil or change brands.

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
Sorry, Garrett's aren't known for being depth demons usually especially on freshly buried coins. Since you already had sens turned up, there isn't much you can do except use a larger coil or change brands.

I disagree,... I have the AT PRO with the DD coil and I can EASILY bury coins to 8" and even 10" and although the signals are not the 'same' as a coin that has been in the ground for years, the signals are still very obvious. I just found a Buckshot Pellet at over 9" and an Lee-Enfield (known as the '303' here) shell casing at 12" and both gave me a very strong signal. Proper adjustment of the Ground Balance and Sensitivity is crucial.

Cheers,

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Some years back I dug a 1917 wheatie at 11" and decided to test the test bed theory right then and there. I moved 25 feet or so from the spot and cut a plug, measured 8" deep from the surface to the bottom of the hole, then plopped a clad qaurter in and covered it.

With the same rig I had just used to find the wheatie at 11", I could not hear anything from the clad quarter. Same settings, GB, etc..

Swung around it for half an hour wondering if maybe I forgot to put the coin in the hole. Nope, pulled the plug, coin was there.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman and LowBattery are correct, I have done the same test on Minelabs, Whites, Fisher and a Tesoro I have owned...... Airtests also are not the same as being in the ground either, some think if it airtest 10 inches it should hit on 10 inches in the ground, ground mineralization, position of target, ground balance as well as other factors figure into it......

Water that coin garden it will help.......

P

pastorals

Yes, water the garden a and be sure to add some 10-10-10 fertilizer.

Alan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread