Do you wear camouflage when "Relic Hunting"?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Do you wear camouflage when "Relic Hunting"?

OK, I know this may be a dumb thread title but I just had to ask. I watched this video the other day on the Garrett YouTube channel and these dudes were hunting relics in Southern Mississippi and they were all decked out from head to toe in camo. The title of the video is "Relic Hunt" and these guys are dressed like they are hunting cape buffalo on an African safari.

First off, is there really a need to conceal yourself from something buried in the ground? It's not like they are hunting an animal that would run away if it spotted them.

Secondly, wouldn't you want to wear something bright so you don't accidentally get shot by some hunter? I know where I live there is always some guy in the woods just itching to blast at any bush that twitches in the breeze while praying there is some wildlife behind it. Personally, I would want to be identified as not being some sort of game animal.

So, do you dress like John J. Rambo for your woodland metal detecting trips, or are you a jeans and a white tee kind of guy? I am a noob @ MD'ing so this is information I must know. I don't want to get horse-laughed if I show up for a group hunt wearing cargo shorts, sandals, and a tie-dye Grateful Dead tee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5fL54bZUCQ&feature=channel_video_title

Upvote 0

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
Re: Do you wear camouflage when "Relic Hunting"?

well some times I wear my super man cape :tongue3:
most of the times I am in blue jeans ans a tee shirt.
If I am hunting a special area I wear camouflage, park aways away and walk round about so I won't be followed by snooping detectorist trying to find my spots so they can hunt them
Dress in what you are comfortable with no matter what other people wear, but don't wear my super man cape :hello2:

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

dld said:
If I am hunting a special area I wear camouflage, park aways away and walk round about so I won't be followed by snooping detectorist trying to find my spots so they can hunt them.

That sort of makes sense. I guess If I was detecting where I did not want to be spotted by another MD'er (or anyone else) I might don the fatigues.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I really don't think it is the camo that is the reason they are wearing them. I have some that I wear when I go relic hunting. The fatigues are very comfortable and have many pockets. They are very durable. No they are not required but they are far more comfortable than jeans. And they have the tie down bottoms to help keep the ticks out. I will not hunt in the woods without them. So yes there are many reasons why we wear them while relic hunting.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Most of the places I hunt, well the camo doesn't blend in well but I figure wearing my mug, no problem....

Attachments

• Sidewalk tearout work.jpg
    Sidewalk tearout work.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,154

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

treasurehound said:
I really don't think it is the camo that is the reason they are wearing them. I have some that I wear when I go relic hunting. The fatigues are very comfortable and have many pockets. They are very durable. No they are not required but they are far more comfortable than jeans. And they have the tie down bottoms to help keep the ticks out. I will not hunt in the woods without them. So yes there are many reasons why we wear them while relic hunting.

I may have to get a pair of camo pants if they are more comfortable than jeans. Jeans are kind of uncomfortable when you're constantly going up and down recovering targets. May have to give the fatigues a try. Thanks for the tip.

When hunting seasons are in I do wear a blaze orange vest and hat since my sites are located on public hunting grounds.

-Swartzie

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I also have a pair I got from Gander Mountain that are solid green and zip off at the knees to make them into shorts if it gets too hot out. Very similar to my Boy Scout pants and again are very comfortable. They are a little expensive at $49.95 but are well worth it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A lot of these guys hunt turkey also and these are Huntn' clothes and do double duty. I sometimes wear a camo tee to the store and I always have some nob ask me if I am going hunting.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II

Camo = Mandatory in the UK. :) Many wear it for fishing too!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

1- I don't hunt in the woods during deer season.
2- I wear shorts and a T shirt. Most of my shorts and T shirts are khaki, brown or green.
Frank

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

well i don't wear no camo, but my good ol plaid jacket black panse carpenter style and i've hunted some places beside dirt roads where i could see people perfectly and they would walk right by and i'm 20ft away i just stand still like a big tree til they pass by and I continue on, I laugh to my self because i'm within plain veiw

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't metal detect in the woods during deer season - BANG - your dead! Wear camo at all times, black out your face, and use a red lens on your flashlight - you don't want the Ranger to catch you!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yes, I don't want the relics to see me.

It also confuses hunters during hunting season. Makes the MDing more interesting.

I also take a really good first aid kit.

8)

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I think camo is prominently worn because a good portion of Metal Detecting enthusiasts are also Game hunters. And they own a bunch of outdoor camo clothing. Personally, I wear Jeans and a tee. To each his own :)

dirty digger dude

May 16, 2011

I never camo except for maybe my hat. I want to people to see me as non-threating. I usually wear a t-shirt with something funny on it. If I was to get challenged by an angry person or a cop with an attitude I want them to know straight up that I am not a nut case planning an ambush or something. You never know what people really think about us metal detectors when we are digging in the ground.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Lowbatts said:
Most of the places I hunt, well the camo doesn't blend in well but I figure wearing my mug, no problem....

Lowbatts, you exhibit raw talent on that collage, I want it as my desktop at work please.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yup er I doo wer camo :munky2:

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

Well then, I'm sold.

I think I am going to suit up in that Vietnam era "Tiger Stripe" camo. It is the most awesome of all camo. Much cooler than this new "Digital Desert" stuff that they have now. Looks like blocky pixels to me.

http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/vts.shtml

Original-Tiger-Stripe-BDU-t2.gif

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb

Love those duds dude. Theres a smart treasure hunter there. I can honestly say they have their place at times. I have been followed by more than one nut or two on the trail and was either forced to leave the site or hide in the foliage nearby and it has happened several times. I wear full camouflage and have even wore paint and carry a Romanian AK under-folder just for the fun of it, I think?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread