Metal Detecting in Massachusetts

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you are skittish about possible rules/laws, one way to see if there are any rules prohibiting detecting, in whatever location you want to try (schools, parks, beaches, etc....), is to check the city (or county or whatevers) website. There's almost no city or county nowadays that doesn't have a website it seems :read2: Do a key word search under their codes and regulations section for words like "metal detectors" etc.... If it is silent on the issue, then so be it. Of course, use "due discretion", don't "stick out", be neat, go at low traffic times etc... (because you can never be gauranteed there won't be "busy bodies" out there).

If the city or county or whatever doesn't have a website, they will probably always still have their public codes, laws, etc.... out for public viewing at city hall front desk, since it is public domain info. Again: if you browse through it, and see nothing on metal detecting, then so be it.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning,I'm over here near Spgfld.No ordinance here,went directly to Town Hall to check.Where you at?

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Generally, historic sites are off limits & MA is very historic. I think Boston does not allow detecting pretty much everywhere on the peninsula (Boston Common & the little squares with statues, etc.). Each little town may have different rules.
Best wishes, George (MN)

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Historic sites may be off limits, but you can still find stuff near the sites. Research routes and trails that were taken to the historic sites and hunt along those. It may take awhile to find something, but persistence always pays off.

-Swartzie

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parks, schools and the such should be OK. State Parks and the National Sea Shore on the outer Cape are off limits. National Sea Shore is very strict and you may lose your detector if you try it.

State Parks are generally a no-no, BUT according to the written Massachusetts regulations, the Supervisor of a given state park area can give you permission to detect. I've detected a state park with permission of the supervisor. Generally you will be restricted to the water and sandy beach only. Chances are they will ask you to detect either before or after hours so as to not bother those people on the beach. Picnic table areas and other areas will be off limits.

I've also sent you a personal message.

solus2sail

Mar 11, 2013
Cape Cod, MA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to detecting and this forum. I'm retired and live on Cape Cod where I'm looking forward to scanning the beaches and back roads.
I'm open to meeting other locals who are into detecting who may be interested in teaming up.

USCGWifey

Greenie
Dec 29, 2013
Cape Cod MA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to detecting and this forum. I'm retired and live on Cape Cod where I'm looking forward to scanning the beaches and back roads.
I'm open to meeting other locals who are into detecting who may be interested in teaming up.

Hi! I just got a metal detector for Christmas. I also live on Cape Cod. Otis to be exact. Where have you been hunting? Would love some insight. Thanks in advance!

Debbiegirl13170

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Otis

Hi! I just got a metal detector for Christmas. I also live on Cape Cod. Otis to be exact. Where have you been hunting? Would love some insight. Thanks in advance!

Hi there.....just brought back memories when you said you lived on Otis :icon_salut: My husband and I (and children) lived on Otis Airforce Base for a few years "way back when" lol I still have my Military ID card, which has long since expired :crybaby2: But its an awesome place to live...beautiful nature, safe, fun for kids....beautiful foxes.....do they still have the bowling alley and movie theater?? I miss that place. One time one of my husbands friends showed me a downed plane way out in the woods. It was covered with graffiti etc and had become sort of a hang out for young ones.

Ill tell you a very strange story. One time, when pulling down the main entry road off the rotary, a huge animal came out of the woods and chased my car 3/4 of the way to the checkpoint! It kept up with the car, and believe me I was flying in fear! There were 5 of us in the car so I know I wasn't hallucinating :tongue3: and although I got a decent look at it because it was right outside the drivers side window (and I was the unlucky driver!! :BangHead: ) and kept up speed with me!!so I glanced at it quite often throughout all of my own, and all of the passengers, screams of horror :censored: It was the strangest looking animal I have EVER seen and have never ever seen one again....not even a picture of one....anywhere!! I never found out what it was :dontknow: If I were a nut Id have said it was a werewolf LMAO! I know I know I sound like a crack pot just saying that word, but Im obviously not saying that is what I thought it was for real, but for a comparison that is exactly what it looked like :icon_scratch::laughing7:

Anyhow.....lol....I originally was saying you brought back HAPPY memories and here I ended up remembering one of the most horrifying memories of my life lol

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; BARKER here. I'm in Boston. Some basic rules ok. State Historic Sites are off limits. The Islands are off limits. Most schools are ok AFTER HOURS and on Holidays. If it is Private Property then ask Permission. ALWAYS leave ANY area you search in the same condition you found it. I don't care where that area is located ok. FILL YOUR HOLES.!!! Remove any trash you recover. USE YOUR HEAD ok. If the area or people in it look shady then leave. Safety comes first. You can replace a detector easier than fixing your body ok. On State Beaches it is usually Posted. Some charge a fee ok. Just use Common Sense.
Lastly, PLEASE read and sign the Petition regarding the Banning of Metal Detecting in MA found in the Blue Section on the General Discussion Forum Posted by myself ok.
Also Join a CLUB. mine is the Mass Treasure Hunting Association. ( masstreasure.com ). You will find a list of all Clubs inn the State in the sites LINKS Section ok. I hope this helps. PEACE:RONB :thumbsup:

spummerr

Mar 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You shouldn't drink & drive
:laughing7:

Hi there.....just brought back memories when you said you lived on Otis :icon_salut: My husband and I (and children) lived on Otis Airforce Base for a few years "way back when" lol I still have my Military ID card, which has long since expired :crybaby2: But its an awesome place to live...beautiful nature, safe, fun for kids....beautiful foxes.....do they still have the bowling alley and movie theater?? I miss that place. One time one of my husbands friends showed me a downed plane way out in the woods. It was covered with graffiti etc and had become sort of a hang out for young ones.

Ill tell you a very strange story. One time, when pulling down the main entry road off the rotary, a huge animal came out of the woods and chased my car 3/4 of the way to the checkpoint! It kept up with the car, and believe me I was flying in fear! There were 5 of us in the car so I know I wasn't hallucinating :tongue3: and although I got a decent look at it because it was right outside the drivers side window (and I was the unlucky driver!! :BangHead: ) and kept up speed with me!!so I glanced at it quite often throughout all of my own, and all of the passengers, screams of horror :censored: It was the strangest looking animal I have EVER seen and have never ever seen one again....not even a picture of one....anywhere!! I never found out what it was :dontknow: If I were a nut Id have said it was a werewolf LMAO! I know I know I sound like a crack pot just saying that word, but Im obviously not saying that is what I thought it was for real, but for a comparison that is exactly what it looked like :icon_scratch::laughing7:

Anyhow.....lol....I originally was saying you brought back HAPPY memories and here I ended up remembering one of the most horrifying memories of my life lol

Debbiegirl13170

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ha ha

You shouldn't drink & drive
:laughing7:

Ha ha! That would actually be a great excuse Id love to use except I don't drink so.....guess Im just a nut who was in the wrong place at the wrong time lol In fact, if there weren't several other people in the car with me at the time id of had myself locked up : ) We even told the guards at the checkpoint gate that there was a huge animal coming up the road right behind our car. But all jokes aside, it really was a terrifying experience no matter what kind of animal it was. I have no clue what that thing was but I never want to see it again...ever! lol :tongue3:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo

Serious blast from the past right there.

There were actually at least two stripped planes that I knew about, but the more remote of the two was IIRC in a paved area out in the middle of the woods near the railroad. Was this that plane? If so, I remember it being free of graffiti in the mid eighties.

I look at Otis on Google Earth today and I hardly recognize it. They tore down the WWII POW barracks and the abandoned housing areas. We had a lot of fun as kids in both of those places. There was so much weird, old stuff on that base back in the day.

DavidGuy

Greenie
Jun 28, 2016
West Springfield,MA
Detector(s) used
TC9700
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi WorldTalker! My name is Dave, just joined this site recently. I live in West Springfield, do you know of any good places around here to go? I'm been researching and researching and I guess I'm doing something wrong as I can't detect any good places to go. IF you have any good spots for coin hunting and such, could you please drop me an email :) I would greatly appreciate ANY place(s) you can hook me up wth ! :) Thanks!
Dave

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
David, MA is riddled with old places. And you can't find any places to hunt ? If you're new to md'ing: Start off learning your machine at easy-to-do swim beaches, sand boxes, etc... Then when you've got the sounds and tones down pat, progress to park and school yard turf. If you're skittish about your recovery techniques (so-as-not to leave any marks, damage, etc...), then practice in your own yards, or the yards of friends, etc... Any yard older than about 1960 can have silver coins.

Then to get more serious @ older coins, progress to researching out where old stage stops, camp and resort grounds were. Old country picnic sites no longer used, etc... Old town urban demolition and sidewalk type tearouts, etc....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread