sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites: Surf, Eagle II SL, GMT.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go'in for Gold!

I have been detecting for more than 10 yrs. and have 2 old but very functional Whites (VLF Beach Hunter and a more complex Eagle II Sl).

Both do fine for coins and relics but neither is optimized for gold and I'm heading to Colorado soon and in addition to panning I'd like to search with a metal detector.

I'm looking for a good deal on used but could spring for about a grand if a new unit could be had in that range that really works well.

From what I can gather I'm guessing I want PI with continuous ground tracking or VLF with optimized frequency for small gold.

Any and all thoughts would be welcome.

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Go'in for Gold!

White's TDI is great for finding small pickers......Matt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I tend to favor the special gold detectors as these have the sens, gain and frequencies to find the small gold pickers along with the Huge nuggets that you can hardly call a nugget. Hey, it can happen to you.......

Read all you can in the field tests of the various manufacturers. Most dealers don't stock these but will order them for you. Try to find someone that has done it a lot for advice.

OP
OP
sparkydog

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

mlayers, Woodland Detectors and Sandman:
I appreciate your input. I've been on the web till my eyeballs are blurry. I think I have ruled out the TDI and the high end Minelabs are too rich for me even used.
Looking seriously at the Minelab Eureka Gold and the White's GMT. Really like the idea of 3 frequency ranges on the Eureka but wasn't impressed by the 2008 report that said you had to silicone the seam on the coil yourself (anyone know if Minelab has corrected that?)

I've had great service from my two old White's and I'm leaning that way. I'm unfamiliar with a pulse machine so the TDI is a little daunting . The GMT is reasonable and right in my price range for new but I have met and trust Kevin Hoagland and his video on the Eureka Gold has me tempted.

Anyone with goldfield experience with any or all of these machines out there to offer good comparisons and opinion?

My lead time to order one is slipping away and the trailer is half packed for a 1, July departure for Colo. and points west!

OP
OP
sparkydog

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Nine hours on the web and phone calls to minelab, whites and Kellyco and I have a new GMT coming my way for a Wednesday delivery. I'll be packing that day and tying up loose ends for a Fri. AM departure to Colorado!!!
The kids live in Boulder and Superior. We bought a new lightweight sunnybrook camper and this will be our first long trip with it. I'm stoked to say the least!
If anyone lives out that way and wants company or can lend useful info on spots to MD and pan I'd appreciate it. I've panned clear creek in years past and have my Gold Prospecter's mining guide in hand. I'll be camping for a little while at least down by Mt. Blanca on a friend's undeveloped property and I'm especially interested in the nugget potential of that area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread