Video on techniques for metal detecting?

Suwanee

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Suwanee, GA
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
I am very new to metal detecting. I literally just got my Delta 4000 in the mail 2 days ago, and went out and hit the park across the street from my house. I found a pull tab and a penny. :) But I am super excited about this hobby. Other than the awesome 100% humidity out here in GA during the summer, I am looking forward to heading out and having some fun.

Anyway, this might be an odd question, but does anyone have any links to either videos or the like of search pattern techniques for using the detector? Other than just waving it back and forth in front of you, how fast should you walk? do you go straight lines up a row, turn around and come back (like you would mowing a lawn)? or do you start in a small box area, detect it, and then move to another box area next to you? Some tips and techniques would be awesome, and videos of something like that would be great to see the "pace" of detecting and the type of motion of the swing (how wide, how high off the ground, etc).

Sorry, if this has been covered before, or seems like an odd question, I just figure getting tips from the pros would be helpful for making sure I am doing things right, right from the start. You know... practice makes perfect, but bad practice makes injuries or mistakes :)

Upvote 0

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to the maddness of detecting
the best thing you can do is hook up with someone in your area
I always suggest to the people that buy a detector from me, dig all targets for the first dozen trips out.
before digging your targets listen to the sound in your headphones and watch the screen numbers/bargraph
Practice digging plugs on your lawn, when the plug looks like you never dug a hole there nyour good to go
as for videos might try youtube

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, welcome to the hobby and Tnet. :hello:

There are various search techniques as for patterns and such and they are mainly so you don't search the same ground twice or more. Start out just having fun and keep the coil level with the ground the whole sweep and not swinging it pendulum fashion. Try to over lap the sweeps a little as the coils field at the bottom is only about 2" round. The reason anyone hunting behind you can still find coins. Just don't make work of it and sweep evenly and check around trees and bushes as they weren't always there before.

A book by Charles Garrett, Sucessful Coin Hunting is very helpful.
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_successful_coin_hunting_book.aspx :read2:

Good Luck,
Sandman

RvaDiggn

Jun 13, 2011
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x, F2 Nautlius DMC IIb
Complete Guide to Metal Detecting part1& part 2
[youtube=425,350]t64jBUvmj7Y&feature[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]O_3QaSUdwyc&feature[/youtube]

OP
OP
Suwanee

Suwanee

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Suwanee, GA
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
RvaDiggn said:
Complete Guide to Metal Detecting part1& part 2

Thank you so much. I put in metal detecting in youtube, and got so many videos, i didn't know what to do with them all. I will watch through these tonight. We are going up to Dahlonega, GA this weekend, and I wanted to try it out.

and also thanks for the other posts as well. I am a information geek. I like to read as much information as I can about something. Having access to as much information as possible is a great thing.

RandyNorthridgeCa

Mar 27, 2005
Northridge, Calif.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F-75, SE, explorer 2 on beaches), CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to a great hobby! Be careful because this hobby can be very addicting ;D. I would recommend you download and read Thomas Dankowski's "Fisher Intelligence", it's free and it's a great read no matter what brand of detector you swing. Good luck and get out and practice a lot. HH

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to youtube.com ...there is alot there to choose from

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread