Detecting in Maryland

Jun 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari. Garrett 350
I live in AA Co. and the only problem I had was at the park on Dorsey rd. when the grounds keeper yelled at me and told me I could not detect there. I usually hunt schools and parks. If you want to search private property always get permission from the owner first.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Harford Co. Plenty of places to hunt, but you have to ask first at a lot of them. State parks are off limits. You have to check with each county on there parks. In harford Co. it is tricky. A lot of Co. parks have their own administrators. Bel Air city parks are generally OK to just go in and hunt. There is a lot to be found in old private yards, but you have to get permission and be super neat on the recovery. Make an agreement with owner before you hunt on the split of finds. In your county you can research and hunt civil war sites on private land, with permission. Good luck, Frank

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Aside from the state and federal level parks/property, for the moment, ... when it comes to city and county parks/land/property, just do this: Most cities and counties nowadays have websites, right? Just go to it, and there's always their codes, rules, laws, etc... for their geographic locales. Just do a key word search under variations of "metal detectors(s) ", etc... If it is silent on the subject, then so be it. Then there must not be any prohbitions :tongue3: And if there is no website with their local parks and city rules, then the information must be on the desk at city or county hall, since it's public domain info. It's usually set out on the front desk, for instance, for public viewing. Scan through it, and if you see nothing that addresses detecting, then presto, it must not be prohibited.

Of course use obvious due discretion. Don't be a "sore thumb" at high traffic hours, etc... We're in an odd hobby that draws curious lookie-lou busy-bodies, who might make assumptions or conjectures (ie.: you might harm earthworms, you might make a mess, blah blah). So go at off times, don't go when during an archie convention waltzing over people's beach blankets, etc....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread