Can a pinpointer scratch a coin?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am curious...Pinpointers are great...Wouldn't go without one. But a quick question. Can a pinpointer mar or scratch a coin? It is suppose to eliminate that problem..but is there that possibility if you probe to aggressively?

Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The pinpointer being made of plastic is softer than the coin so it can't scratch the coin DIRECTLY, however the grit on the probe can scratch the coins! Frank

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes I agree if you rub your probe or pinpointer over a silver coin covered in dirt, it will scratch it for sure

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where I have tried to sell coins tissue paper can scratch coins lowering them several grades. ::)

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking of that same scenario also...of perhaps pushing your coin against a rock, or if you probe too aggressively with your pinpointer that it could damage the coin....I mean..if they say if you rub your coin with your fingers..you can scratch a potentially valuable coin, then perhaps a pinpointer can also..Just my opinion.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get a good pinpointer like a Garrett Propointer it will sound off without actually having to touch the coin. The Garrett varies it's signal based on how close it is to the coin but will pinpoint up to a couple of inches from the target.

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99 %of the finds are clad so it would be such a small margin when it comes to silver because silver is so rare in my finds

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
It is absolutely impossible for a pinpointer to scratch a coin. Don't listen to all the hype. Even with aggressive probing, it is impossible to scratch a coin, no evidence of this has ever been offered. It is just a myth. It's impossible. Aint gonna happen. Ever. Never ever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread