What to say when you knock on someones door

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
"Howdy, Neighbor- I'm Jeffro, I just live up the street there... I was wondering if it'd be possible to run my detector over your grounds sometime? If there's anything you've lost over the years I'd be happy to search for it as I go. (Not for new arrivals, LOL)
"Also, if you'd like me to try and track down where you water main, electrical, etc. runs; I'd be happy to do that as well. If I can get a good enough signal, that is." (Older houses have galvanized pipe, sometimes not near as deep as todays codes)

Chit chat, introduce yourself, and look presentable before you go a knockin'. Be pleasant and confident. Welcome them to the neighborhood, if new.

Best not to bring your detector to the door, as if your expecting them to say yes....

Also expect to hear a no, and don't be disappointed if they do say no. If they do say no, just say, "Well, if I can ever be of help in the future, let me know."

Simple business cards to leave with them can help sometimes, if they decline ,but show interest in what you're doing. Nothing but name, address, phone number, and "metal detectorist", with maybe a logo of a detector on it.

Alot of people get a lot of "Nos". I think it has to do with confidence and personality, more than anything else.

Don't pick out houses with well manicured lawns, in general. The type neighborhood you want to detect in has a lot to do with responses, too. High crime areas will generally be No, but rural communities and suburbs are more likely to say yes.

Don't forget to wave and say Hi! as your driving by and see them in the yard someday. But don't press your luck by asking twice, let them come to you after you've proven yourself to be a decent type fella.

Pretty much common sense stuff. Hospitable and pleasant. Try it in front of a mirror, or your wife first and see what you can pin down, change or leave out. Genuinely mean whatever it is you decide to say. If you don't, you'll come off like a used car salesman.

Hope this helps.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What to say when you knock on someones door

door to door breast exams ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
or
land shark

S

stefen

rluna,

Jeff hit it the nail on the head with his good and sound advise.

dekalb, on the other hand, has a different and unique approach that may have limited success. However, if you get a resounding 'NO', thank the person following jeff's advise and possibly close with dekalb's line. ;D

What the hell, you already lost anyways...have some fun on your way to the street.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Randy: First off, Be Truthful, Direct, & Courteous!

"Good Afternoon, I have this Map that shows Buried Treasure somewhere on your property,Maybe under the house." "When would it be convenient for you to have me bring the Backhoe by?"

Offer to let the Homeowner participate. "Here, you start on the porch w/ this Chainsaw, & I'll be in back w/ the C-4!"

Expect to be Rejected once in a while. Take it in stride! " If you turn me down, I'll wait till you go on vacation & you're house will be history!"

I hope this will help! If not, I will either visit your Grave or your Prison.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup,
Jeffro pretty well summed it up.

dekalb-LOL

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Randy,
If you have any friends in the neighborhood, try detecting in their yards, fields. Many people are curious about detecting and will stop and talk to you and that is a great way to get future leads. Always be prepared to demonstrate that you can recover a find and leave no unsightly hole in the yard.
If you can't start with a friend's yard, you can't get better advice than Jeffro started with.

Happy Hunting!

Jim Johnson
grizzly bare

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to add a few points:

1) Do a little research before you ask if possible - know a bit about the history of the property or area. Be interested if you get them into a discussion about the history.

2) Explain a bit about the hobby - stay away from words like "treasure" hunter - stick with discussions about how you love the thrill of finding old coins or relics.

3) Show the owner what you use to dig with (see my point below!!) - you need to get very good with pinpointing and digging very small holes and using probes.

4) If you've ever returned anything you found to someone, work that into the conversation if you can and as Jeffro said, offer to help them out if they think they've lost something specific in the past.

THE MAIN POINT BEFORE YOU EVEN START ASKING FOR PERMISSION:

Practice, practice practice pinpointing with your detector and digging in your own yard until you believe you can dig and cause very very minimal damage. The last thing you want to do is be given permission only to have the owner come out and scream at you for leaving 1 foot by 1 foot holes in the yard - you'll never get permission there again, and anyone he tells the story to will likely never let anyone with a detector on their property either.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What gets me is people who tell you no then want you to listen for another ten minutes about why they said no. At that point I really don,t care why at all !

Ed Donovan

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed Donovan is right about some people but I tried really to get to know the guy and talk about other interest. When I started to leave he asked me to come back and hunt. Some times they just need to get to know you. I guess we are asking them to let us invade their domain. Burdie

R

rvbvetter

Use one of those circular curtains they put around manholes (person holes) , after they remove the cover. Stand in it with your orange vest. And when the guy comes out in the morning, tell him your working on the city sewer system.
Then detect the ground inside the circle and when covered. Move it over and detect and move and detect, and so on.
Then when the guy comes out again, you'll look like the hump on IGOR"S back in the movie Young Frankenstein.
He'll be going; But weren't you over ther.......?

The best way is to go up and politely ask for permission. It's not easy I know, and rejection can really bring a person down. But when you get an ok, it makes up for it. HH

S

stefen

Hell.

Just pull up to the front yard and back this bad boy off of the trailer...be sure to rev it up a dozen times or so.

After you scared the pants off of the owner...hold up a screwdriver and ask which he'd prefer...Bad Boy or the screwdriver.

Betcha he'd pick the screwdriver every time. ;D

Attachments

• backhoe.gif
    backhoe.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 355

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I absolutely detest name-dropping..... :-X ...but it works here in the country. ;D If you ever get to hunt at one person's place and then tell the next farm owner down the road that you had hunted down at Mr. So-in-so's place then it seems that they are all OK with it. And then sometimes they will even offer great advice on the next place you should visit! ;) Always have a great smile to go along with asking too. :)

;)

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
I have knocked on doors only a few times. I have never been refused. I am just straight forward and asked to detect the yard.

I would wait until spring when the ground is wet so the grass can recover. Use only a coin probe and popper. If you have to dig for it, forget it.

I carry small bags of grass seed with me.

I bought some Liberty V nickels to give as gifts. I use free Avery software to make up business cards.

Just be natural and confident. If you act nervous, you are lost.

Peter

OP
OP
R

rluna

Ok....so I read the first post by Jethro and I'm thinking.....Hey, my first time on here. These are some
pretty decent normal guys. Then I read on and realize that most of you are a bunch of goofs!!! ;D LOL

Glad to be here!! Thanks Jethro for the tips. Oh, and thanks to you other guys too...sorta kinda ;)

Rvbvetter: You got me with that one. At first I was reading yours intently thinking this might be
a new approach until I got to the second sentence.

Stefan: That's funny.....can you just imagine :o

Randy

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Welcome to the forum Randy- yeah, we're all a little off here sometimes, its all in fun! ;D

C

cwe

I have found that I when I tell them I am
a history buff ....they almost always say yes!

People understand about history ...it seems anything else
they think you know something they do not.

cwe

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Randy, welcome to the forum...... You will find that the Guys and Gals on the forum are a lot of fun..... and the knowledge is exceptional. Enjoy the fun and the forum ::) and the crazy one's ;D

God bless
Peter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions