What headphone are you using?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is no good to use a great detector and not use the best quality headphones. I like Black Widow's but the other Detector Pro's are good too.

OP
OP
Nuggetville

Nuggetville

Feb 28, 2011
Quinc said:
No wireless?!?! I should be getting these in the mail next week. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,414552.0.html

Airheadz are treasure hunting specific wireless headphones. We are in the process of trying to get them in stock. We are also going to be dealers for Detector Pro. Detector Pro headquarters are about 45 minutes from our home in MA, so it is kind of a hometown company. We like to support the local or smaller companies when possible. Thanks for the input so far!

Quinc

Jul 18, 2011
Nuggetville said:
Quinc said:
No wireless?!?! I should be getting these in the mail next week. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,414552.0.html

Airheadz are treasure hunting specific wireless headphones. We are in the process of trying to get them in stock. We are also going to be dealers for Detector Pro. Detector Pro headquarters are about 45 minutes from our home in MA, so it is kind of a hometown company. We like to support the local or smaller companies when possible. Thanks for the input so far!

Just looked up the Airheadz, they look nice. :love10: 300$ is a little steep though. :(

ND6F

Greenie
May 20, 2011
KOSS QZ/99 Freq 40 to 20,000 Hz 102dB SPL/1mW 60ohm 3.5mm and 6.4mm plugs. Mono/stereo switch. Passive noise reduction. Love these things ! Use these with my Ham radio gear also. 73's ND6F

OP
OP
Nuggetville

Nuggetville

Feb 28, 2011
The Airheadz are very pricey..... But I have had quite a few customers asking for them by name. Also if you look at the price ($250) of the Spectra V3 wireless phones, it isn't out of the park. Plus they will work with most detectors. We haven't fully committed to them yet, but close.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Grey ghost is a nice set of phones. Monday I dug 3 barber dimes and a merc in the dry, dry, ballfield. There was no mistaking that sound.

Quinc

Jul 18, 2011
Nuggetville said:
The Airheadz are very pricey..... But I have had quite a few customers asking for them by name. Also if you look at the price ($250) of the Spectra V3 wireless phones, it isn't out of the park. Plus they will work with most detectors. We haven't fully committed to them yet, but close.

I wonder what makes them "detector" headphones? The ones I linked above are only 130$ (currently half off) and utilize Kleer.

OP
OP
Nuggetville

Nuggetville

Feb 28, 2011
The airheads are just designed with detectorists in mind. Noise reducing ear cups, manual dial driven volume control, duable design, etc. There is never anything against a headphone designed for music, it is just that the manufacturers of specific headsets address all of the concerns the advanced treasure hunter is looking for. Like any other hobby.... There is more than one way to skin a cat :wink: That is why I started this thread, I wanted to see what people were using and tiring to get new ideas! Thanks again everyone for the input so far!

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nugget busters on my BUG and Gray Ghosts on the 3 other machines

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
I've got a Minelab Excalibur II 1475....it has the WOT coil....14.75 inches. I use Peltor Optime 98's soundproof ear muffs with waterproof ear buds. Best sound and sound insulation possible. I can hear everything my detector is telling me and I can blot out all other noises which is best for being on the beach or in the water with waves. I can detect on land near highways with loud motorcycles and it pretty much knocks them out too. I've tried them all.....and this set up is the best I have found. $18 for the Peltors and $45 for the waterproof ear buds. Used factory headphone cable. Waterproof down to 150 feet. No brainer!

Attachments

• budsresize.JPG
    budsresize.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 492
  • fullshotresize.JPG
    fullshotresize.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 462

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's a tip. Your detector is not a Hi Fi unit. It puts out a very limited range of responce. If you pick up headphones that will pick up 20 to 20,000 Hz, you waisted a boundle of money. Almost any headphone in the neighborhood of 8 ohms reistance will work very well. Go for the comfort of fit as your guide. Why waste money on unneeded range pickup. The big money is for the fancy name on them. Frank

Quinc

Jul 18, 2011
steve from ohio said:
I've got a Minelab Excalibur II 1475....it has the WOT coil....14.75 inches. I use Peltor Optime 98's soundproof ear muffs with waterproof ear buds. Best sound and sound insulation possible. I can hear everything my detector is telling me and I can blot out all other noises which is best for being on the beach or in the water with waves. I can detect on land near highways with loud motorcycles and it pretty much knocks them out too. I've tried them all.....and this set up is the best I have found. $18 for the Peltors and $45 for the waterproof ear buds. Used factory headphone cable. Waterproof down to 150 feet. No brainer!

These still fail because you are using wires. Thats so 1990's... :munky2:

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Quinc said:
steve from ohio said:

These still fail because you are using wires. Thats so 1990's... :munky2:
I hate wireless. So cancerous! I prefer wired as wireless is prone to interference. I've had wireless phones and absolutely hated them. More batteries to charge. More stuff to go wrong. Had problems when detecting near cell phone towers and radio stations. But hey......you may like wireless.

Quinc

Jul 18, 2011
I hate wireless. So cancerous! I prefer wired as wireless is prone to interference. I've had wireless phones and absolutely hated them. More batteries to charge. More stuff to go wrong. Had problems when detecting near cell phone towers and radio stations. But hey......you may like wireless.
[/quote]

Good point! I'm going to be 50 miles from the closest tower or power line so I didn't put much thought into. I will deff have to try them around the towers and see what happens. :thumbsup:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Waterproof ear buds ? ? ? Who makes them and sells them ? ? ? Sounds like the way to go! :headbang:

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
extractor said:
Waterproof ear buds ? ? ? Who makes them and sells them ? ? ? Sounds like the way to go! :headbang:
They got them at Best Buy. I have found that they really make hunting in really loud areas much better. Those Peltor Optime 98's really cancel out a lot of noise and having the ear buds in my ear just makes it that much better.

Attachments

• surgeresize.JPG
    surgeresize.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 451

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread