Advice Needed For Coil Upgrade!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I am not mistaken the F-2 can take the 11" coil which looks like a fish backbone. This might give you more depth, and money could better be spent on a more upgraded detector since the F-2 doesn't have adjustable ground balance which gets more depth. The larger coil may infact get less depth because it will be seeing more minerals because of its size.

Its always a trade off. The larger coil covers more ground per sweep, has trouble with target masking.

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like this F2, It is so easy to use... I have to do some Thinking... :thumbsup:

Nuggetville

Feb 28, 2011
I would have to agree with sandman to some degree. You will get better depth with the larger coil, but with the lack of some more advanced controls, may get frustrated with target separation, etc. I hate selling people these coils and having them dissipointed in the results. Feel free to give me a call with any questions you might have!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always, if you enjoy the hobby, then get a better machine instead of throwing the money away on a new coil. Why spend your time out detecting with a beginner machine if you love the hobby? You can always make more money, but you can't make more time.

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
As always, if you enjoy the hobby, then get a better machine instead of throwing the money away on a new coil. Why spend your time out detecting with a beginner machine if you love the hobby? You can always make more money, but you can't make more time.
I also love this machine! It is so easy to use, Very light.. Never had a problem with pinpointing any target! Just Looking to gain more depth... If I have to go to another machine.. It will take some saving to get a new machine... That is what I have to think about... My hunting time is limited, But when I do get out I make the best of it...

kalbs

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
I put a 11"DD coil on my F2. It does give more depth w/good target separation. The deeper you go the less discrimination you have (I experience this w/the stock coil as well). This is the standard coil that comes w/the F-4. (I came across a chance to buy an F-4 for the same price as the F-2 + 11" DD coil right AFTER I ordered my F-2!). The F-2 is what I have. I will try to exploit the full range of it's limited capability. After I fully develop my "operator skills," I will of course attempt to get a better machine. When I was a military (and later civilian) small arms marksmanship Instr., I always worked to develop the ability to exploit the full capability of ANY small arm. Skill trumps equipment in most situations. A new coil will help less than an upgraded detector w/the same (or equal coil). Whether it's worth the money, only you can make that decision. If you are primarily relic hunting there is no question it would help. Anything else tends to be a bit more subjective due to the discrimination issue. I hope this helps (I agonized over the same decision). Good luck. Let us know how you make out w/it.

gringoo

Feb 15, 2011
i bought a 10 inch coil for my f2. what a waist of money it got a inch more depth very hard to pinpoint with. i sold it and the f2 and bought a clean sweep coil for my tesoro, my tesoro beats the crap out of both the ace 250 and the f2 i had.

gringoo

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be in an area where the mineralisation suits the F2 factory set up. If so then there might be a gain from going larger. The 11" elliptical double D in any case would suffer less from ground conditions than the 10" concentric. Do check the connectors you have as the early machines had push fit connectors and the later screw fit.

Have a look at the NEL coil range (Sharpshooter, Tornado). The 12" x 13" has proved to be very good on several brands of detector though I haven't seen one on a F2/F4 yet. Better than many coils but don't expect the through the roof performance gains a few have claimed.

Its always better to spring for the next model up a range to get the ability to ground balance to best deal with varying ground conditions and optimise any coil size to the detector but as you already have the F2 and like it you could try a larger coil and sell it on if you don't find you benefit. Re discrimination, there's very few larger coils that don't need a slower sweep speed when discriminating.

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input Everyone! I have not made any decision just yet.. I have a test that I want to do before I make any decisions... Problem being, I need to wait til the fall when all the underbrush and leaves are gone... I will post my decision.. Mike at Woodland will know first hand...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions