Getting frustrated!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the old stuff can be hard to find. the first step is to find spots that they are likely to be. the best technique and detector in the world wont find coins where they aint. try reading old books and articles that might give away tips on where crowds may have gathered years ago. thats where the coins are, provided 100 other people didnt have the same idea and find them all already! old yards are another good place to look. most of them have never been detected. dont get too frustrated. keep in mind that the parks and schools have been pounded for 40 years now. its a lot harder to find silver now than it used to be.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long is awhile? The reason I ask is because it took me almost 6 years to find my first IH, buffalo and war nickel. Patience and persistence is key. Slow and steady wins the race. Hang in there.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you done any research as to history in your town? Just a basic search tells me you should be looking in a town that once existed just south of you called "Norman" just across the state line in Iowa.It says this town "once existed" and that many of the buildings were moved to Emmons.This looks like pretty rural country to me.I would visit the town library or wherever and read old newspaper articles from long ago to gather more clues as to where to search for "keeper" coins and relics.There is even a link to a terraserver map of the area.Of course that isn't to say someone hasn't thought of the same thing 20-40 years ago.But it's an example as to finding old sites.Here's the link:http://www.emmonsmn.com/history.html Hope this helps,Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
diggummup said:
Of course that isn't to say someone hasn't thought of the same thing 20-40 years ago.But it's an example as to finding old sites.

Great advice diggummup! We've all seen it before, hard hit spots producing quality finds. Nothins hunted out, & if someone did think of it 20-40 years ago, technology today is much better than even 20 years ago. Id be lookin for "Norman" Cheeze, bet you'd find some very interesting stuff!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research where people visited years ago and just do it. Over ap sweeps and hunt slow and the old finds will come. It it was all easy, most of us wouldn't be having any fun. Good Luck

Sandman

D

dfx_maui

I was a little disappointed recently when I went to an old school (at least 80 years old) to break in my new DFX a few weeks ago. The custodian that worked there for about nine years now had seen quite a few detectorists there over the years and told me "you won't find anything here". Well today I went there again this time with a White's DD 1400 Deep Scan Eclipse coil. In the first ten minutes I found a clad dime about 5 inches deep. It was a 1981 dime but I gave me reason to believe that the school was not hunted out. I was surprised at the depth I found this coin at for its age. I'm pretty sure there will be other good finds in the future.

All the experienced detectorists tell me this - dig EVERYTHING up. That is pretty much my mantra now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread