Question about using my Delta4000

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
well, here it goes. i have 2 problems with it,
1. countless times on multiple occasions, i get a 70s to mid 80s (out of 1-99) which is from aluminum to copper and *plop* out pops a rusty piece of iron

2. i know about 'hot rocks' and have found many chunks of iron ore/slag (see problem #1), but i keep finding 'hot' pieces of coal that set off my detector

i know a lot of other beginners are using the Delta 4000 and am wondering if anyone else gets these problems.

also, my family did a lot of construction, so the yard is full of nails and siding and such (underground), so i usually set the disc to 70+ and the sensitivity down to 5 because of the high iron content of the soil

Upvote 0

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
iron is any machines worst nightmare. Iron will usually not be a solid # and pin point in one spot. After you dig up some good solid hits (coins0 you will learn to tell the difference, usually, not always. We all get fooled allot of the time. Thats what makes it so fun. Look for good solid repeatable hits.

Left4Dead

Greenie
Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Ace 250
If you move the coil slightly off the target you may get the vdi of iron, or switch to all metal mode and you may see the iron in the display too. In discrim mode it could just be silent on some swings indicating that the vdi is not high enough to alert.

Also if you pick you coil off the ground 6-10 inches does it still sound off,this indicates larger target.

Today I did some more testing in my garden of coins

Dime at 4" dirt/clay had tone but bouncing around , would not normally have dug it.
Dime at 6" dirt/clay hardly any sound even with sensitivity at 10. Never would have even noticed it.

Quarter at 4" dirt/clay decent ID bouncing around a tad but mostly quarter or dime reading.

Videos of real ground testing..new

Quarter at 6" dirt/clay all over board would never dug it.

Understand I tried both all modes and cranked sens up to 11, also it is really hard dirt /clay ground,no power lines near, ect. The measurement were taken with ruler to top of dirt , and grass is another 2 " or less.

I will make a video. Really to me it seems not that good, I will have to bring some others MD's out to see how they do.

Mike

MrPoptop

Jan 3, 2011
Cowlitz County, Washington
Detector(s) used
2 AT Pros and a BH Tracker 4
I was all set to buy one.
Right before ordering I got a chance to borrow a buddies.
It wasn't for me.
I would love to try an Omega 8000 tho.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Mine jumps around like that some, but I like it so far. Found 3 gold rings with it and I haven't had it long at all. Only a couple of months - if that.

Left4Dead

Greenie
Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Ace 250
Keppy said:
Are all the Teknetics that bad at getting a solid reading ?

Again the conditions of my test garden is solid clay, and it's a new test garden with no halo effect around the coins yet, it's not always like that with the vdi, I seem to hunt a ton in all metal mode more and more. I which I could just turn up discrim in all metal mode.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
red clay has iron in it --note the reddish tone of the clay * -- rusty color? -- got iron in it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread