I made an interesting discovery today...

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While hunting a playground area I found myself in a position where I had to detect while backing up. I was really surprised to discover that I felt like I was doing a much better job of overlapping my swings - especially since I had been making a very conscious effort today to go slowly and overlap well.

I didn't do it all day, but I changed back and forth now and then and each time I realized I felt way more comfortable and felt like I was really covering the areas much better by working backwards.

I can't tell you exactly why I felt like I was doing better because I honestly couldn't figure it out. The only 2 things I really noticed were:

1) It's much easier to shuffle your feet when walking backwards which allowed me to walk slower overall.

2) I think by walking backwards I found myself able to adjust the swing of my detector wherever I needed in order to overlap really well.

I have no idea if anyone else has ever noticed this affect or if I'm just weird :P.

Upvote 0

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree. When one is detecting for hours, one needs to adjust and be flexible to positons, etc. Change of arm, walking backwards, looking to the sky, looking at the horizon. From time to time while on the beach i.e. south miami, naples, daytona, I'll see a pretty babe, and I'll detect stepping to always keepin an eye on em............ 8)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
same here i noticed that also

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I tried it once but found myself going in circles all day ;D No seriously, I'm going to have to give it a try now..I have a problem with my overlapping anyways. :)

Vicegrip

Aug 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Troy X5, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems a little backwards to me. ;)

B

Beachkik

Hey Cubfan64,I am glad you brought up that reverse pattern,cause I do it all the time,the reasone is that the beaches where I live are steep all the way down to the water so I start at the top and back down the incline.I have found that I overlap my swing much better going backwards so I guess Im not the only one that dose that,I've tried it on flat land but I to end up in a circular pattern,anyway it works well on inclines...good hunting.

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I learned something the hard way last October. I was chest deep in the water on Cocoa Beach and had my back to the ocean, probably eyein some chick on the beach, a big wave drenched me and knocked my glasses off me face and dislodged me scoop.

Lesson 1. Also face the ocean while in the water.
2. Teether scoop to ones-self
3. Make sure your glasses have a strap around thy neck.

If you go to

http://www.thegoldenolde.com/

You'll find these tips and much more 8)

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Cubfan64 said:
While hunting a playground area I found myself in a position where I had to detect while backing up. I was really surprised to discover that I felt like I was doing a much better job of overlapping my swings - especially since I had been making a very conscious effort today to go slowly and overlap well.

I didn't do it all day, but I changed back and forth now and then and each time I realized I felt way more comfortable and felt like I was really covering the areas much better by working backwards.

I can't tell you exactly why I felt like I was doing better because I honestly couldn't figure it out. The only 2 things I really noticed were:

1) It's much easier to shuffle your feet when walking backwards which allowed me to walk slower overall.

2) I think by walking backwards I found myself able to adjust the swing of my detector wherever I needed in order to overlap really well.

I have no idea if anyone else has ever noticed this affect or if I'm just weird :P.

I do it that way ALL THE TIME....when I first started detecting, it was uncomfortable to me to detect walking forward and my hubby said I wasn't swinging correctly (like he's an expert...geeez). So I started walking backwards, covered better ground and it's way comfortable for me, nor does my detector feel as heavy!!! SOOOOOO....... If you ever see a short grey haired ol' lady at the oceanfront in Va Beach walking backwards with a metal detector...THAT WOULD BE ME!!!!!!!!!! (just gotta' be careful of those who love to dig holes....BIG HOLES!!! LOL). I think a bunch of teens tried to see if I would fall into the hole they dug...but little did they know, I'm real good looking over my shoulder to see where I am heading! HEHEHE

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Walking backwards seems to make sense. You have to walk slower and more cautiously. The weight of the detector is closer to your center of gravity making it lighter instead of pushing the weight of the detector out in front of you while going forward.

The only issue I see is staying in line, but I'm sure there is a way to get that sorted out..... ;)

GL & HH,

DugHoles

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well, while on the beach, I shuffle my feet in the sand and that leaves a trail of where I was. Like I will walk backwards from the water to a certain point, sweep around and walk backwards towards the water...after while you would think a HUGE SEAGULL left it's tracks all over the beach LOL.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
stoney56 said:
Well, now we'll have to try that one. Anybody know where to get strap-on rear view mirrors? :D

LOL....Market it before someone beats you too it....I would do it...but I already saw your posts and I won't do that to a fellow detector. It was your idea ;).....do the design....git 'r done :)

HH.......Annmarie

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yah, the obvious problem is watching where you're going when walking backwards, but I definitely agree with the people who say it feels more comfortable as well. The center of gravity observation I think has alot to do with why it feels more comfortable - good idea!!!

As far as the rear view mirror goes, I already get enough comments and stares when I'm metal detecting, the last thing I need to do is give people even MORE reason to ridicule me :P

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Cubfan64 said:
As far as the rear view mirror goes, I already get enough comments and stares when I'm metal detecting, the last thing I need to do is give people even MORE reason to ridicule me :P

Oh, don't let them get to you....me? I don't care what others think. You think I look weird, I could show them some pics in the National Enquirer that would blow their minds LOL. I am who I am and enjoy doing what I do.

Infact, that's a good idea too!!! Have headlights installed with turn signals and back up lights (don't forget the back up sound) LOL....ok...that is a bit too much...but it is funny!!!!

As you can see by the photo I posted, I don't care what ppl think. I had garbage bags on my legs. We were detecting a yard with lots of poison ivy. I had on gloves...even had my green matt (the kind they put on the beds for accidents...these were leftovers from when Mom was here, before passing..so I found another use for them). I lean on this matt to protect my clothes too. So, having mirrors and lights would only put the icing on the cake for me LOL

HH.......Annmarie

Attachments

• IMG_0109a.jpg
    IMG_0109a.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 477

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
ronandann,

Good for you! I like your pic! When one is takin care of business, whether in a 3 piece suit in a Federal Court House or detectin and dressed like you, one has got to be dressed properly! :o

Huntr1

Oct 26, 2005
Mechanicsville, MD
stoney56 said:
Well, now we'll have to try that one. Anybody know where to get strap-on rear view mirrors? :D
bike shop. they sell rearview mirrors that hook onto eyeglasses. go to bikenashbar.com and search for item number BN-3E and you'll see them.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good reason to go backwards...

I do this a lot and always have But, I do it most when I am around play equipment.

Then I back into them instead of whacking my head on them!

Once Ive worked my way all around them, I then turn and do UNDER them, knowing Ive worked up to them by a measured amount, with my backazzwards approach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions