Trespassing? (Long)

Pitch

Jul 27, 2003
I have found myself in a dilema. There is a piece of property that I Know of from childhood that believe it or not a band of "Gypsies" used to camp on for a couple of weeks every two or three years. There was an old guy that lived across the road ,we always referred to him as the "Mad Russian" I have no idea what his true nationality was but us kids were always warned to keep away. My mother has told me that these folks started showing up there every few years just prior to WW2 and continued on into the '60s. I don't know what they were but I do have dim memories of brightly painted multicolored old vehicles and wagons showing up and the neighborhood going into a tizzy while these folks were down there. Now to the meat of the post! I did some research and found that taxes have not been paid on this 2 to3 acre lot for a number of years I wrote to the address, some place in NJ (some 180 miles away) given to me by the town clerk and got the letter back as person unknown at this address. What would you do? I am tempted to check it out any way but there are nagging doubts. The odds of getting caught are low as this property is way out on a seasonal road with grass growing down the middle and not a house for 3 or 4 miles. Its just that the legalities bother me and I certainly don't need trouble but this could hold something good.

Upvote 0
P

pick

I would go ahead and do my searching. If someone were to ever catch you tell them that your a gypsy and are waiting for the rest of the pack to show up.
Pick

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Well, you tried to contact the person who owns it and failed. I would check to see if there are any "No Trespassing" signs. If not, go for it!

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Well, you tried to contact the person who owns it and failed. I would check to see if there are any "No Trespassing" signs. If not, go for it!

Be sure to post pics of what you find, Good Luck!

OP
OP
P

Pitch

Jul 27, 2003
That was pretty much my thought. I am quite new to this hobby (6wks) and don't really know the proper ettiquite and the amount of tolerated rule bending that happens. Thank's

Fred

Apr 3, 2003
Princeton,BC,Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Double check with the records clerk and crack a few jokes or take them a small gift for being so helpful. That way if it does become a problem the clerk will remember you,and favorably. Just a thought. Fred

R

Rich

Here in NYS posted signs or tresspassing signs have to be changed every year by law,go to the local tax assaser ask who own the pro;erty,or just go hunt and say i didnt see the signs.....lol..

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just take your paperwork with you when you hunt. You could always say your the local land assessor and you are doing a land survey if you get caught! No seriously, anyone gives you any grief, explain the situation and take the paperwork with you to back you up. Don't forget to put the good stuff into your front pocket, not your bag and show us some pics when you get back!! Remember this rule - It's better to ask forgiveness than permission! Unless it's strongly posted with no trespassing signs I'd go for it. and even then you could always plead innocence from the court with your paper work.

G

geatley

This might sound a little nuts but pay the taxes and own the property.
Here in Louisiana, and many other places,they have tax auctions each year. If the owner dosen't pay his/her taxes for three years and you do you qet a quick (or quit) deed to the property. For The cost of going before a judge and the back taxes, the land is yours free and clear.
Don't know how that works up your way.
Other wise just hit the place with your detector and plead ignorance with many apologies if stoped.

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Here in Kentucky, "No Trespassing" signs are NOT required in order to be charged with Trespassing 3rd Degree. This offense is a violation and nets you a citation, much like a speeding ticket or other traffic offense. If it is marked with signs, then you get bumped up to a 2nd Degree charge, which is a misdemeanor, and could result in being arrested and spending a short time in the jail.

Since I dont' know where you are located, I can't tell you one way or the other. I would take into account the neighbors surrounding this location. Try asking them if they know who owns it. Nosy neighbors are the ones that call the police on EVERYTHING, and chances area that if none are around, no one will notice. If you would be questioned by police while there, explain the situation that you have, show them your paperwork and be sure to let them know who you have talked to at the county clerks office. You PROBABLY wouldn't have any problems, no promises here. My best guess would be that you would be FIR'd and maybe asked to leave the property without any problems.
Still, if you are unsure, I would go to the highest point of authority you can find available. County Attorney, Judge Executive or the like. If permission would be obtained from that route, you'd be good to go!

Best of Luck!!!
beetle662

Doug-Iowa

Mar 31, 2003
Ottumwa, Iowa USA
I am with Geatly on this. Buy it for the taxes. You can't contact the owner either buy it or leave it be. It isn't public land and sad but true you have no right to detect it. There are rules of ettiqutte and one of them is don't hunt without permission. If we keep pushing the envelope on right and wrong we will see more laws preventing us from hunting. Happy Hunting.

Doug-Iowa
DJs Detectors

Thonolan

Mar 20, 2003
Port Huron, MI
I dissagree with Doug

If the property is vacant and you can't find the owner, just go ahead and detect it. If someone raises a fuss, just apologize and leave. I can't imagine it becoming a big deal.

Go for it!

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As NIKE says "Just do it!". Then don't forget to tell us what you stole from the gypsies. Aren't you aftraid of the gypsy curse? Don't get spooked out going down there! Maybe you find an old accordian!

OP
OP
P

Pitch

Jul 27, 2003
Hunt Status

Well I have decided that I am going to do it, but the place is about 2hrs away and I have been working mostly six day weeks lately. Actually if nature cooperates I,m hoping for a good snow storm around the last week of October to knock down some of the goldenrod and I'll hit it the beginning of November before the ground freezes and there is plenty of moisture in it. State Park beaches open next week so I'll be poundeing them for a the next few weeks.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
State Park beaches open up next week? What's that all about? Do you mean the kids go back to school and you'll be able to get on them? In any case, keep us posted on the gypsy saga, it sounds really interesting. wink

OP
OP
P

Pitch

Jul 27, 2003
tresspassing

Here in NY you have to get a permit to hunt state parks and they start day after Labor Day and expire day before memorial day. Even then you can only work the listed parks and the specific listed areas within those parks. Comes with a list of restictions as long as your arm. You are also supposed to turn in anything that has more than "nominal" value. YEAH RIGHT!

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
ok.... I might have missed it, but where in NY? I am going to be in the Nichols area this coming w/e ( hopefully the weather will cooperate ), and I plan on doing some detecing up there......

Chiz
8)

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, ain't that a bunch of B.S.. Sounds like Fish and Game, ready to write you a ticket at the drop of a hat. We have a similar law here, except as far as I know, there is no permit process. I'm surprised that CA hasn't though of that yet. This is the TAX'EM state, after all. I had a lady ranger come up to me and tell me that if I found anything on the state beach with a value of $100 or more, I was supposed to turn it in to the rangers so that they could hold it for 90 days to see if someone lost it. She handed me her power card that said "Head Ranger" on it. I could just guess what that meant. I just looked at her like she was crazy! YEAH RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT. I just wanted to tell her to take her biology degree and put it where the sun don't shine, but I bit my tongue. Power does funny things to people. Some handle it well, while some just believe they can change the world with their laws.

Attachments

• mexringreturn.jpg
    mexringreturn.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 493
  • aPC060101.JPG
    aPC060101.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 55
  • PCasp3.JPG
    PCasp3.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 49
  • jamaicareturn.jpg
    jamaicareturn.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 54
  • thumbnail_20160718_123432[1].jpg
    thumbnail_20160718_123432[1].jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 94
  • lostnfound.jpg
    lostnfound.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 2017caspr.jpg
    2017caspr.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 619

Cory in ORy

Aug 28, 2003
coinshooter said:
Power does funny things to people. Some handle it well, while some just believe they can change the world with their laws.

That may be, but odds are she was just doing her job. Sometimes it's convenient to people when the govt does it's job, and sometimes it isn't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions