Need some advice

Akp43

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
Hi all. I al new to metal detecting. In fact just got my first detector yesterday. Decided to give it a try in my back yard. Spent two hours and only dug two holes. If anyone could give me some advice on a couple of questions I have. 1st question: I am having a hard time, once my detector Picks up on something I don't know where to start my dig. I dug two huge wholes in my yard and my husband wasn't too happy about it lol. So how do I know how big to start my hole.

2nd question is. When my detector starts pinging how do I determine where the object is? Do I go by the middle of the coil, the top of the coil , or the back of the coil. Please help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated x

Upvote 0

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
Your ACE will ping on a dime but it could also be a copper penny (meaning made before 1982). If the ACE hits it but your propointer won't then you have exceeded the depth of the propointer which is about 1 or 2 inches and your dime or penny may be 3 or 4+ inches. There is a way to increase the depth by holding a penny against it but don't have the link for it.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well-- I couldn't see the nickel on the shaft during the demonstration so don't know if that one was the source of the chirp but if it truely works then its amazing. Any explanations as to why this works, anyone?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread